Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1000's of entries in System Information Startup Programs file?

• Please log in to reply

mike4042

mike4042

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have 1000's of entries in the System Information Startup Programs file. All (or most) are double entries. In Programs>Startup I only have Norton GoBack. In MSCONFIG>Startup I have the following:
Apoint
"rundll32
Ati2mdxx
atiptaxx
reminder
jusched
SPMgr
HKserv
Switcher
ISBMgr
VAIOUpdt
PartSeal
ccApp
"a blank line"
qttask
SpySweeper
NortonGoBack

Are these entries normal? Should I/How do I remove them?

Mike

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mike4042...

Most of them are normal startups...some are not necesary and can be disabled. You can look up the startup applications HERE to help you decide whether to diable them or not.

That being said, the "Blank Line" interests me. Is there any command or other information listed in this line?

wannabe1

mike4042

mike4042

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1,
No command, but the location is HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok".

In the left pane of Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

In the right pane, look for a blank entry. Is there one? If so, what information is listed for it?

mike4042

mike4042

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1,

There is no blank line, but two entries seem unusual(?maybe). One is in () and Registry Mechanic has no data. I did a chick with Registry Mechanic but did not subscribe.

(Default) Reg_SZ (value not set)

and

RegistryMechanic Reg_SZ "blank"

Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The (Default) string is normal and required for Windows. The Registry Mechanic is likely your blank entry in the startup list. Users choice...if it were me, I'd remove the Registry Mechanic. There are better registry scanners available.

Try the trial version of TuneUp 2006

Edited by wannabe1, 14 September 2006 - 10:03 PM.

mike4042

mike4042

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1,

Thanks, I deleted Registry Mechanic and I will download TuneUp and give it a try. What started all this was that my computer sometimes "hangs up" when I am trying to do something. I will click on a button and it will depress, but it will sit like that for 5 or 10 sec's before it does what I have asked. I brought this up to an acquaintance and he looked in the Startup Programs file ( SysInfo) and said that all those entries were not normal. I have been investigating ever since. Any ideas?

Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apoint = Touchpad software for laptop PC's. For instance it is found on the Panasonic machines and allows part of the touchpad to be used for document or Web-page scrolling. Required for proper functioning of the pointing software but not required for the laptop to work

"rundll32 = This one is a bit suspicious. May be a Trojan of some sort. Check the location for me...is it in C:\Windows\System32?

Ati2mdxx = or ATI video cards. System Tray access to display mode changing
atiptaxx = Control panel for the ATI series of video cards allowing access to such features as display resolution, colour depth, etc. Available via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Display. Some users may need it if they have optimised their settings
reminder = From MS Money. Reminds you of your bills
jusched = Checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available.
SPMgr = Related to Sony VAIO Power Management Module installed on laptops and provides additional configuration options for these devices. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems
HKserv = Keyboard manager program required to use programmable power and function keys on some laptops such as the Sony PCG R505TS
Switcher = "On a Sony laptop with built in wireless it allows the user to select which wireless services they want to run (i.e. Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, both) when turning the wireless switch on if disabled)"
ISBMgr = Related to Sony ISB Utility. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems
VAIOUpdt = Related to Sony Vaio Update service. This program is non-essential process to the running of the program, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems
PartSeal = System backup for Sony Vaio PCs. Adds a recovery mechanism for users over and above any System Restore features - allowing users to revert a drive back to the state it was when bought form the factory by hitting F10. The user obviously loses any data stored if not backed-up elsewhere
ccApp = Part of Norton AntiVirus. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not function without this

"a blank line"

qttask = System Tray access to Apple's "Quick Time" viewer from version 5 onwards
SpySweeper = Spy Sweeper - detects and removes spyware
NortonGoBack = Norton GoBack application

TuneUp

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

Let us know how it's running after this.

mike4042

mike4042

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
wannabe1,

I have not downloaded Tuneup yet, but here is the info. on "rundll.32.

Command: "rundll32.exe" bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent

Thanks for the information.

Mike