Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OCing Athlon 2500 Barton in Abit KV7 mobo

• Please log in to reply

angry_kafir

angry_kafir

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I'm a newb, so thanks for your patience. Has anyone here overclocked a (multiplier-locked) Barton 2500+ on KV7? I'd like to push the FSB from 166 to 200 (I have PC3200 memory), but after I do it the system won't boot. :tazz:

Does it have to do with the core voltage to the CPU? What about the dividers? Do I need to play around with the FSB:AGP:PCI ratio or just leave it alone? And, obviously I understand it is all done gradually using MBM to monitor temps.

Thank you for your insights!

;)

P.S. I'm using ThermalTake silent boost to cool the CPU, and I'm not sure it is suitable for overclocking. This hsf is rated to handle up to XP 3200+ but my non-overclocked Barton 2500+ is already 47C at idle...

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

This involves a lot, first 47c at idle if it is accurate is to high to start to oc you need to get that down to 40c or lower before beginning to oc.

This temp is it in bios or a software read?

How many case fans do you have and at what location?

What is the vcore volts set at?

I will look into your ThermalTake silent boost and get back.

Also please check this out Here

I do have a KV7 and have done some oc so I may be able to help.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other question what bios are you running?

angry_kafir

angry_kafir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Rick,

I figured a few things out---modest overclocking is really easy with KV7. I can just specify in the BIOS that my CPU is 3200+ (400) and up the vcore to 1.775V, which seems to be stable.

However, I do have a problem with the temp, which is reported by the BIOS. I have only one 120mm rear exhaust fan (well, two if you count the PSU), and its rpm is controlled by the Sonata PSU.

At this point I think I figured out the overclocking details, but I need to find out how to lower the CPU temp. I'm using a very thin layer of Arctic Silver 5.

As for the BIOS version---I never updated it, so it must be ancient...

Hi,

This involves a lot, first 47c at idle if it is accurate is to high to start to oc you need to get that down to 40c or lower before beginning to oc.

This temp is it in bios or a software read?

How many case fans do you have and at what location?

What is the vcore volts set at?

I will look into your ThermalTake silent boost and get back.

Also please check this out Here

I do have a KV7 and have done some oc so I may be able to help.

Rick

View Post

angry_kafir

angry_kafir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

One other question what bios are you running?

View Post

That's a great question! I've never updated the mobo's BIOS... Now that I've figured out the overclocking details, I don't think the BIOS version matters, but the CPU temp is too high. Don't know if it's because Tt Silent Boost is weak or I didn't apply Arctic Silver 5 incorrectly.

I discovered it was very simple to oc 2500+ to 3200+ on KV7 by just selecting 3200+ (400) in the BIOS, instead of 2500+ (333), and increasing vcore to 1.775V.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am runn ing bios 17, the reason I asked is some of the older bios versions had problems reporting temps to high but 17 seems to have fixed this.

Go Here to learn how to tell what bios you have

I discovered it was very simple to oc 2500+ to 3200+ on KV7 by just selecting 3200+ (400) in the BIOS, instead of 2500+ (333), and increasing vcore to 1.775V.

You can also oc in smaller steps by setting the cpu operating speed to "user define" and changing the cpu fsb clock.

Raising vcore will raise the cpu temp but you do need to do this when you oc, you will need more case fans to oc to 3200 speeds, it is important that you keep your cpu temp under full load below 60c.

In my KV7 rig I have 80mm in rear blowing out, 80mm in front blowing in and a 92mm in the side blowing in. This along with a thermaltake volcano 12 and artic silver5 keeps my temps below 60c when at full load although my oc ain't quiet that high.
here is a guide about proper airflow and will also show you how to install and cut fans into the side of your case airflow

Sounds like you installed the artic silver correct but did you remove the old thermal paste with isopropyl alchol, also artic silver has a install guide on ther website but if you spread it as thin as possible you will be ok.

I would start by adding case fans but you could also run with the sides off for awhile to see if that lowers the temp at all.

Well thats all the suggestions for now if you have any questions/comments post back

Rick