Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply

BigCheese

BigCheese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having a problem with my recent computer build. I have been getting random system lockups. The freezes are completely random as for as I can tell. It can happen during a game, or it can happen when I’m surfing the web, or even when the comp is just sitting idle. The system completely freezes, no mouse or keyboard inputs, the clock even stops. I have to reboot.

I’m positive its not a virus or spyware, I have run multiple scans with no hits using AVG, spybot, and adaware. Its not a heat issue, I have watched my CPU, GPU, and Mobo temps while gaming. Nothing over 45C at highest load. I haven’t overclocked anything in the system. I have also updated my mobo BIOS and video card drivers. After reading a little on the internet, I thought that maybe it was my power supply. So I got a new power supply and its still locking up on me!

Here are my system specs:

ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor Dual Core
Corsair XMS2 (2x1GB) DDR2-800 RAM
Sapphire Radeon X850XT 256 MB PCI-E Video Card
Seagate 7200.10 320GB Hard Drive
New PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W
Old PSU: Ultra X-Finity 500W

I would be very grateful if you could provide any advice to help me out. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Take a look in event viewer to see if you have any warnings or error messages there. If clicking on the windows link to find an answer and not figuring out what it is, please post the error or warning message here. Look thru all the event viewers.

SRX660

BigCheese

BigCheese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice. I reformatted ny hard drive and re-installed windows last night to see if that would help. I'll see if its crashed by the time I get home. If so, then I'll post anything I see in the event viewer. Thanks again.

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I had a problem similar to this, turns out id made the most simple mistake. i had 2x512 dual channel ram and id put the sticks in dimm 1 & 3 instead of 1 & 2.. just double check that and check them against the mobo manual to ensure there in the correct slots..