Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ZoneAlarm blocking filesharing on a network

• Please log in to reply

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
The thread title is self explanatory, I'll try to elaborate a bit.

A few days ago I bought a laptop because I need one for school so it will need to be plugged in in a lot of networks. Wired. Wireless. Everything :whistling:

Now my network worked fine and I could share files and all... unil I installed ZoneAlarm after someone recommended it here. So far I have 4 issues with the program, and one of them is related to networking.
Once the firewall runs, I can't see the other computers on the LAN anymore, and they can't see me. All access is blocked. I know you have to allow other computers manually in the settings, but that's not what I want. What I want is to automatically allow ALL computers in no matter what LAN I'm connected on (for filesharing). I only want to decide permissions for programs that want to access the world wide web, the internet. That's because there will be various networks at school with varying omputers each time.

Also, how can I make sure people don't access other folders than those I put on "share" in explorer? I don't know if I can trust it unless it gets confirmed it's safe enough here, of course)...

My partitions are FAT32... it was standard like that when I bought the laptop, there was no way I could choose anything. Is that OK, or do you recommend doing a conversion to NTFS (I use XP)? I know I'm afraid to do significant conversions like that, especially since it's irreversible. And I have no means of backing up (or hardly, anyway...).

Anything else I need to consider for safe laptop use in networks?

By the way, my other 3 issues with ZoneAlarm are in my "What good virus scanner/firewall would you recommend?" thread over at the Software forum.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Need to add your local network IP addresses to Zonealarm's safe list, as this program blocks absolutely everything by default.

The easiest way to not allow people to see certain folders is not to share the drive itself. Just share the folders.

Partition types - the computer(s) reading from your computer don't care because they don't actually read the disk, they just get a list of files, you double-click on one, their computer asks yours for that file, it gets it.

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Need to add your local network IP addresses to Zonealarm's safe list, as this program blocks absolutely everything by default.

That's the problem, isn't there a way to auto-accept connections through the LAN? Because like I said, I'll be on many different LANS and even more different computers. The computers will be different each time I'm on the LAN... I can't possibly do confgurations every 5 minutes. If it isn't possible in ZoneAlarm, is there another firewall that does? Because I'm seriously considering uninstalling ZoneAlarm... it does many things wrong.

Edited by Cerberus_e, 14 September 2006 - 03:19 PM.