Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Sharing Issue

• Please log in to reply

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm running a home wireless network with a desktop PC and 3 laptops. The desktop is running Windows ME while the laptops are all running Windows XP. There's a laser printer connected to the desktop machine, but none of the laptops can connect to that printer. File sharing does not seem to be a problem, only access to the printer. When I use the wizard to create the connection on the laptops, it builds the entry, but the status appears as "printer not found on server - unable to connect". Is there a fix for this problem? :whistling:

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the XP CD to install home networking on all the machines

For the ME machine, insert the XP CD, let it load, choose perform additional tasks, install a home network

Also check they are in the same workgroup

Is the printer shared and shown with a hand underneath

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The laptops came with XP pre-loaded. I actually do not have an XP CD to load home networking onto the ME desktop machine. Is there a workaround solution? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you view the printer on the desktop, can you right click it and click sharing to check the setting

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was able to check the sharing setting. It is set to 'share this printer' and the name on the laptop is the same as on the desktop machine. If I try to print a document (from Word, for example), I get a message box telling me Windows cannot connect to the printer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The computers have different names

Can you run add a printer on any of the laptops

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes -- I ran 'add a printer' pointing to \\desktop-name\printer-name. It did seem to set up the printer. It allows me to select it on the laptop when I want to print a document, but it responds with the bad message box. Also, when I hover over the printer name in Printers and Faxes, the pop-up box says "printer not found on server, unable to connect". :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as the desktop is on, is the firewall blocking it

Zone Alarm is set to the trusted zone for sharing

phoneguy19

phoneguy19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have McAfee, but am currently not running the personal firewall module. Also, the file sharing seems OK. I can work from the desktop's hard drive on the laptop by mapping a network drive.