Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install XP

• Please log in to reply

aMariux

aMariux

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, it's my first post in here, so sorry if the question will sound stupid...
I also have a laptop with OS, wich is an OEM install of XP Media Center edition. I tried to install a fresh copy of XP Pro with my other cd's that i have, but when i put one of those to the cd drive, and when i hit "enter" (that i want to install a fresh copy of OS), i get a message, which says, that there was no hard drive found or it's not connected properly. I can still start the old OS, so how can the hard drive be not working? Any ideas?
P.S sorry for my english, as it's not my native language....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need a seperate product key

aMariux

aMariux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, i have a separate product key, but why i get the screen, which says, that my hard drives aren't working? How can i get thru this?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you backed up all the data you need on this PC

aMariux

aMariux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes i did.....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Click this to download Boot and Nuke

Click this for a guide to using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

aMariux

aMariux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thank for your help. I'll try this.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

http://www.theelderg...l_-_graphic.htm

aMariux

aMariux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
actually it's not going well..... First of all, the link you gave me to download the soft, seems to be broken, cause i can't open it. The other thing is, that now i can not start my old OS, cause during startup, i get a black screen, which says something like this: "Invalid system disc. Please insert a valid system disc and press any key".
I tried tu run my recovery cd's that i have, but after doing that "recovery", i get a message, that the computer has been recovered succesfully and i can restart it. When i trie to restart it, i get the same message: " Invalid system disc. Plesae insert......"
I'm really confused. Could this mean, that the hard drive is broken down or what?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it set to start from the CD ROM Drive first then the hard drive

If yes and the XP CD is in the drive, look for press any key to load from CD, then press enter

aMariux

aMariux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i don't think you undersand me. everything is set as is has to be. But the problem is that when i get to this screen: http://www.geekstogo...c/XPWelcome.gif and i hit "Enter" to install a fresh copy of windows, i get a message, which says that the setup wasn't able to find any poperly working hard drives and that i should check if the hard drives were connected the right way or smth. Iv'e never seen such thing on any computers.
Anyway, i tried to use my recovery cd's again, but this time i've chosen the "Destructive recovery mode" or smth. Now it lokks ok, i have the OS again, but there is still a problem - i can not install a fresh copy of XP pro by myself. When i put the XP pro cd into the drive during PC startup, i still get the message, that there's no working hard drives. Anyway, i'm pretty happpy that i have some kind of OS, cause i'm going on a trip, and this laptop will be used for GPS. I just don't like, that i can't interfere into the install process and that i get the OS full of manufacturer's junk (with all the promotional games, crappy antivirus software, and soon to expire MS Office). I'll try to solve this problem, when i'll get back home, and post the results in here, if somebody is interested.