Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE MSN.IE Hijack

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have scanned my computer and it appears I don't have any Spyware and Adware. This is not a Spyware, Adware or Virus issue. I installed a fresh copy of XP about 2 weeks ago. I noticed that once I put SP2 on my PC on the same day (my first time installing SP2 on this my PC) that my IE was defaulted to www.msn.ie (possibly detecting that I'm in Ireland). I can't get rid of this. This was there the day I installed SP2. Is there any way to stop this from happening? The same thing happened to a friend of mine and he's awaiting a solution from me.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Big Dave.

Advertisements

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Perhaps give this a try:
Download and install Microsoft Antispyware beta from
http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

Once it is loaded go into advanced tools and click on browser restore. You can find your homepage, serach page, local page, default page, and all of them under this.
After clicking on homepage, you can click "change restore setting to a new URL"
Change it to whatever you'd like then click on the "Restore" button after putting a check in the box next to homepage. This should change your setting and if you continue to run microsoft antispyware's active proctection, it will detect browser hijack attempts as well as applications trying to install. It also confirms some registry changes and alerts you if any winsock LSPs try to install.

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Perhaps give this a try:
Download and install Microsoft Antispyware beta from
http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

Once it is loaded go into advanced tools and click on browser restore. You can find your homepage, serach page, local page, default page, and all of them under this.
After clicking on homepage, you can click "change restore setting to a new URL"
Change it to whatever you'd like then click on the "Restore" button after putting a check in the box next to homepage. This should change your setting and if you continue to run microsoft antispyware's active proctection, it will  detect browser hijack attempts as well as applications trying to install. It also confirms some registry changes and alerts you if any winsock LSPs try to install.

View Post

Been there done that. Thanks for your help but it didn't work at all. Same problem still exists. Any other ideas?

imabrickwall

imabrickwall

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am new to hijack this and my knowledge somewhat limited, but I think if you post a hijack this log, this homepage that you are unable to change may be within one of the registry keys.

In case you do not know how to do this, please follow the instructions here:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html
At the bottom of admin's post, it will instruct you how to make a hijack this log .