Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet noise

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I wasn't sure where to put this, so sorry if it's wrong.

I have my laptop hooked up to an ethernet cable for internet access. And I recently noticed a strange high pitched sound, almost squeaky. I thought it was the laptop. But then I looked at the ethernet jack and inside there's an orange-ish light as well as a green one that was blinking. The blinking coordinated with the sound I was hearing, so I unplugged the cable, and it stopped immediately. Of course, it begins again once I put it back. I don't get a wireless signal in my room, so I need it, but the sound is driving me crazy! It's not particularly loud, but still. Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing it or what I can do to fix it? Thanks in advanced!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The orangish light you saw... was it inside the Wallplate, or was it on the ethernet card on your Pc.

If it was on the PC please list your NIC's Make and model... <can be obtained by Start-Run-Type in DEVMGMT.MSC and hit enter- Scroll down to Network Adapters and click the plus sign- post back everything it says in this category>.

If it was in the wallplate on the wall you might want to do a google search for "Ghostbusters" or check the yellow pages for Exterminators who get rid of yellow eyed cockroaches. :whistling: