Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nagging Windows Automatic Update Problem

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi guys,
I'm using a genuine copy of Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 and the Automatic Update is naughty today. I attached a capture of it, the particular update KB920872 just keeps coming back telling me to install it even though I have for so many times.
I tried logging off and reboot but it still comes back asking me to install it like nothing's happened before.
Please help, this never happened before and that yellow ballon just won't go away.
Cheers
Chinofeliz

Snap1.gif
Snap2.jpg

Edited by chinofeliz, 14 September 2006 - 10:57 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there chinofeliz.

Try and download and install the update manually:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

After you have downloaded and installed the new update restart the computer and see if there is any change. In the mean while I am looking if there are any things that could conflict with this update, since it has alot to do with audio.

Cool, get back to me. :whistling:

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Spike
Thanks so much for your reply.
The update notification baloon went away itself after 2 days. It did annoy the S**T out of me but it's gone now for some reason.
Still curious what caused that tho as it'd never happened before.
Thanx
Chinofeliz

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Consider a "bad" install in the first place. Uninstall, then go a day and see if anything happens...shut down the auto-install function as well. Then start up the auto-installer, and go at it again.

Then there is my handy dandy cop out...for which I am considered a bad boy...

If you can live without it, uninstall XP-SP2 and all updates, and you won't have the problem again...like, why do you need it, and them, anyway?

...if you have MS Defender, one or two good spyware additions, and the best anti-virus prog you can find and/or download...there are a few good freebies noted at geekstogo...and stay away from sites that invite you to be infected!!! Don't forget to use good sense when using e-mail.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
turn off automatic updates go to windows update and click updates critical ones and when its done and your ready to install updates choose custom install and dont pick update that keeps returning after your all done turn automatic updates back on

it should show

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

If you can live without it, uninstall XP-SP2 and all updates, and you won't have the problem again...like, why do you need it, and them, anyway?

This is not practical or useful advice, especially for the problem presented. We do not advocate skipping updates or Service Packs from MS, and SP2 is a little more than a plain security update. The advice for adjusting the method of receiving MS updates should be sufficient to solve the problem.

Johanna

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanks folks so much for all the advice. I think I've learnt enough just in case the same problem comes up again. Hehe, Johanna I agree with you, I thought the uninstalling SP2 approach was a bit hardcore too :whistling:

Thanks for all the advice :blink:
Chinofeliz

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting back and letting us know you fixed the problem.
Johanna