Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy new system or just upgrade old

• Please log in to reply

rlt

rlt

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi I am just wondering should I upgrade my old Dell Deminsion 4300 which has a P4 1.7ghz I have 256mb SD ram. I have 2 hard drives a 40gb and 120 gb. I also have a nvidia gforce 2 mx 64mb video card and the power supply is 170 watts. Would it be better to upgrade with another 256 stick of ram since 512 is the most I am told this computer will accept and a new agp video card and power supply or just build a whole new system. The Dell will be 6 years old in January. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Depends on what you want to do with the comp. What would you like to do with the comp later that you cannot do now? Another stick of ram is not going to cost much so I would go for it as it makes a big difference but I would try to build another comp perhaps taking the 120gb harddrive from this comp but leaving myself with this comp as a backup system, for tests, Internet and the like, two comps are better than one.

elmundo

elmundo

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
hello RLT
Freamailman
is right Build a new sistem

rlt

rlt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks alot guys really the only thing I can't do with this computer that I used to do is play the newer games. Like last year I got GTA San Andreas for Christmas but this system will not run it. So like you said I might take the hard drive out and have two computers. I already had some parts picked out I will post them next and let you guys see what you think about those.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Post it in the System Building and Upgrading Forum

rlt

rlt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok I am moving this post.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just my 2 cents wait for vista, all the new hardware is going to be realeased around then. And you need vista to get Direct x10.
James