Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lots of frustrating problems

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i recently installed 250G hard drive. took me several tries to install windows; my sp2 just would not install - too many errors (can't install file..) finally got sp1 in and had terrible time downloading and installing updates. finally got to sp2. wireless network took a lot to get going. took several attempts to install msn premium w/ mcafee. when network, firewall and av working created a restore point. i actually did one everyday since i was having so many problems. in installed wordperfect, yahoo, tuneup utilities with no problem. i cannot install quickbooks pro2004. it goes through the install and restarts. upon restart i get the following: "An error occurred while launching the setup. The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid." I click ok to close the box. when i try to open quickbooks i just get a flash of the start screen when its trying to start. I get the same error when i try to unistall in add/remove programs. i tried the cd on another system and it installed fine so there's nothing wrong with the cd. so i manually take alll intuit out and repair the registry. today ALL my restore points are gone.

My system is crashing frequently and i am "told' its do to with a device driver. One time it was specific enough to tell me it was a video device driver so i followed the instructions for changing the hardware alleceration. so far so good (about an hour ago). before i changed the hard drive i was having a problem with the video driver (s3savage4). i have downloaded the new driver (zipped and unzipped) but cannot figure out how to install it.!!

when the system crashes i am able to get this info(these are 2 from today): #1 error signature BCCode: 1000008e BCP1: C0000005 BCP2: BF8E700CC BCP3:EF9515F0 BCP4:00000000 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product: 768_1 then error report contents: C:\docume~1\gailee\locals~1\temp\WER28a0.dir00\mini091406-04.dmp AND C:\docume~1\gailee\locals~1\temp\WER28a0.dir00\sysdata.xml. #2 error signature BCCode: 1a BCP1: 00041284 BCP2: 7CD02001 BCP3:00000B40 BCP4:C0503000 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product: 768_1 then error report contents: C:\docume~1\gailee\locals~1\temp\WER7420.dir00\mini091406-03.dmp AND C:\docume~1\gailee\locals~1\temp\WER7420.dir00\sysdata.xml.

In my documents and settings folder I have 7 folders, all users, all users.windows, default user, default user.windows, gail, gailc, gailee. I want to think this is due to the number of times i attempted installing windows?? is it safe to delete the .windows, gail and gailc? gailee was the last one i used.

also today i got a balloon: since windows was 1st activated, the hardware has changed significantly (nope) and i have to reactivate within 3 days. i reactivated but no hardware has changed.

Any advice is well appreciated, ive been at this for almost 4 wks!! :whistling:

Edited by galec, 14 September 2006 - 09:03 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Galec
Is this a windows xp disc or a copy - if a copy some files can be missing.
Is this xp home or pro.
did you choose the option on loading windows to format the drive.
What over info can you give us about the computer - IBM - Dell - generic etc
Cheers
Peterm

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have sp1 home and sp2 home originals, NO copies. everytime i installed the drive was formatted. generic system, this is from everest: CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1466 MHz (11 x 133) 1700+
Motherboard Name ECS K7S6A (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 745
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (01/09/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter S3 Graphics Inc. Savage4 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator S3 Savage4
Monitor Delta DE-770

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SiS 7012 Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller SiS PCI IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00JJC0 (74 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0 (232 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive TDK CDRW241040B (24x/10x/40x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 76308 MB (58162 MB free)
E: (FAT32) 9529 MB (9179 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 47685 MB (45025 MB free)
G: (FAT32) 181204 MB (176629 MB free)
Total Size 307.3 GB (282.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Wireless-B PCI Adapter (192.168.1.102)
Modem Generic SoftK56

Peripherals:
Printer \\LAPTOP\Lexmark X5100 Series
Printer Auto Lexmark X5100 Series on LAPTOP
Printer Intuit Internal Printer
Printer Lexmark E238
Printer Lexmark X5100 Series
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller SiS 7001 PCI-USB Open Host Controller
USB Device Lexmark X5100 Series
USB Device Logitech USB Cordless iTouch Keys
USB Device Logitech USB Cordless Keyboard
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Galec
Does your motherboard have an on board graphics card?
If yes then uninstall your graphics card and use the on board video.
Lets see if that helps
Cheers
Peterm

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
not sure will check and follow your instructions. do you think the video card is causing all these problems??

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no on board graphics card.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

video driver (s3savage4). i have downloaded the new driver (zipped and unzipped) but cannot figure out how to install it.!!

Ok go to Start > My computer > right click> properties> Hardware > device manager >Display adapter Click on the + sign to expand Click on the video card right click.>click on properties click on update driver.

Cheers
peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
double post

Edited by peterm, 18 September 2006 - 04:10 AM.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have tried that and the one installed from the download is the same version. is there a generic driver?? do you really think this is causing all these problems - not being able to install quickbooks and the crashes (what do those errors mean?) and can i delete those folders in documents and settings??

Another question. when i turned on my daughter's computer it made a LOUD pop!! it would not start. it recently had a new motherboard installed. could it be the power supply? how can that be checked?? thanks.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Sorry but I can't say it is your graphics card for sure I can just research and try different methods.
Same code
Extra from microsoft
All I can do is see what comes close to yours then we try that.
And this one shows that the second error could be RAM
There is a link in this site for 2 memory testers. - Without buying another video card can you borrow one from another computer? does your daughter's machine have a video card ?
Error # 2
As for your other machine when you turn it on the fan at the back where you plug the power cable in should spin

Edited by peterm, 18 September 2006 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Since you are having so many problems, and it sounds like you prolly have a bunch of temporary files and corrupted files, I would reinstall Windows XP. If SP2 came with your Windows XP disc then it will install automatically if you downloaded sp2 then I wouldn't worry about installing it<more of a pain and waste of harddrive space than help> Reinstall your quickbooks pro first and then everything else, shouldn't have any problems. :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Bobbydoo8,

We generally don't advise reformatting without going through basic troubleshooting. Temp files are not the issue here, and if the install files are corrupted, we will suggest a System File Check or a Repair before a reinstall. If everybody whipped out their cd at the first sign of a problem, well, the world would lose a lot of data, and us techs would be out of work.

Johanna

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
peter m, thank you. i did think to take out the video card from my daughter's comp. we had the same system but my ex had some work done on it but i;m hoping it's the orginial card. i haven't turned on the system to check the fan, i want to get my error free. i will try the memory test first then the video card and let you know.

bobbydoo8, i have original xpsp1 and xp2. both gave me problems installing. i finally got the sp1 to install. the only program that will not install is quickbooks, i have installed about 6 other apps with no prob.

johanna, i have been troubleshooting for about a month. i bought a new sp2 to other day. my thought was just to start over again!! but right now everything seems ok and after all the problems i had installing apps, i was hoping just to fix these errors. it did lock up on me earlier but i can't remember what i was doing and forgot to write it down - i have pages and pages of handwritten notes. you mention a system file check - how is that done??

i forgot to include that there are errors in device manger (i have no problem with audio, using sis7012audio driver): audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture drivers, media control devices, video codes. All have error code 39 and the troubleshooter states to uninstall and reinstall which i am fearful of doing, wondering if that would screw things up more??

thanks all for you input so far.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
:whistling: :blink: at first attempt to run mem check, the system would not shut down, there was an error w/ mcafee stating it would not shut cuz it was installing! its already installed. then i got i/o error on floppy and tried to copy to cd but said no cd in drive. tried a system restore to my good check point and system restarted and ran chkdsk. then had a spysweeper error, restarted, said system recovered from serious error. tried restore again, ok but another mcafee error. tried updating mcafee and got IE error and it needs to close. restarted tried mem test again and got i/o error again. i restarted and got system recovered from serious error 2 times. printed screen with error info to word pad and had no printers showing!! installed printer manually said already installed, went to printer and there are all my printers!! undid last restore and everything was OK!! tried yet another floppy for mem test and it ran. had errors w/ both cards in. i restarted and my av was not working. shut down and took our my original ram and tested second card. this one has errors in LRAND, ERAND and MATS+ with the cache off. the second card had errors with it in slot 1 and 2. i stopped test and restarted with the second card in and the av was working. i went to shut down so i could take out this bad card and system restarted not shut down. the blue welcome screen flashed and it restarted again. it kept restarting and restarting. finally loaded and said recovered from serious error and got a mcafee message stating win msgr has changed do i still want it to acess interenet? i said yes but the window kept popping up!! more mcafee error,device driver error (hardware acceleration still at none) printed screen with error info, hit print and system restarted. i finally got it shut down to take out the bad ram. had no error when i tested my orginal ram alone. ran test again on bad ram, same errors but each pass had error in different test. i tried to install quickbook with only the good ram in but still got same error.
i also ran checkitdiagnostic by smithmicro. my original ram ok. when it put the bad ram in it took 7 restarts by itself to finally get windows in safe mode. the mem test failed: Addr=09371CAC,Data=478E, Expected 470E. also i found that there is NO capture card driver. ran windows mem diag again this time w/ NO errors!! took 2 times to restart w/ two recovered from serious error screens and was able to print them. had no sound. ran checkit again and system restarted! took 4 times to restart still no sound. checkit ran and found no errors!! none the less i am taking out this ram, supposedly it has a lifetime guarantee, we'll see. how can it have several errors and then no errors????

My daughters comp: the power switch on front does not work, i have to use the toggle on the back of tower. the fan on power supply and mboard do run. the hard drive does not spin. there are 4 mem cards: 3 @128 and 1 @64!! none of which is the original (i bought 2 systems the same) the mboard is AOpen AX6B. nothing looks fried.

Now my sony laptop in making a noise, i think its the fan. there is new hard drive (in june). ive never taken apart a laptop (warranty done now anyway). is there detailed instructions out there??

One other thing, does anyone know a good way to find pinholes in an air mattress :help:

i quit for now been at it for four hours. thanks again

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

One other thing, does anyone know a good way to find pinholes in an air mattress

I put mine in the swimming pool to find the holes.
Ok with the 1 good stick of ram in the machine download the tune up trial in my sig
and lets see what it does.
1st step is to try the registry scan and lets see what it does. Before worrying about quick books etc we need to try and get your system stable.

Edited by peterm, 22 September 2006 - 02:14 AM.