Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

lots of frustrating problems

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have run tuneup several times (on day 17) when i have removed programs. i ran it every time i deleted the quickbooks files since i cannot unintall it. this time i ran it before i deleted all the quickbooks entries got 8activex/com errors and 17 file type errors and repaired. then i ran norton (which i own) registry and program scan and got 27 activex and 11 program file error and repaired those. i deleted all the quick books entries and ran both again. #1 tuneup - 152 activex, 8 file type, 85 shared file error. cleaned those and ran again. 631 activex and 12 file type and cleaned those. ran norton again only 2activex (intuit) and 11 prog file errors to do w/ microsoft.net framework and fixed those. this is all with the good ram.

any ideas on my laptop problem, its really loud now, had to shut it down. that's were i use my quickbooks for my business.

i thot about putting the mattress in the pool, too late, hubby closed it this week. maybe i;ll water it down with the hose. i read somewhere to put smoke in it, pretty hard to do. maybe i'll just chuck it with the computer :whistling:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

Now my sony laptop in making a noise, i think its the fan

Depends on the model.
Go here and half way down the page under the heading Hardware solution there is a download file
on how to dissamble a laptop.

With the other machine before you put the 250gig harddrive was everything working ok ?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts

i was having a problem with the video driver (s3savage4)

Which savage card do you have there is more then one. Go here and and out the bottom of the page there is a link for a utility that will tell us what savage card you have.
Savage utility.
then we will look at upgrading the video driver. All these things can be related.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Now my sony laptop in making a noise, i think its the fan

Depends on the model.
Go here and half way down the page under the heading Hardware solution there is a download file
on how to dissamble a laptop.

With the other machine before you put the 250gig harddrive was everything working ok ?

can't get to the download file for laptop. it's been so long but i think everything was ok on the desktop, maybe a few errors but nothing like i am having now. and now i see i misstated in my original post, the 250G is my slave, i have brand new WD80G where the OS is. i had the 250G as master and 8Gslave for storage but that was getting pretty full so i decided to swap and use a 40G for master. for some reason i could not get windows to load on the 40G so went and bought a brand new 80G.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

i was having a problem with the video driver (s3savage4)

Which savage card do you have there is more then one. Go here and and out the bottom of the page there is a link for a utility that will tell us what savage card you have.
Savage utility.
then we will look at upgrading the video driver. All these things can be related.

the utility says: display adapter: S3graphics inc. savage 4. i have already installed the most current driver i can find and it is the same version as what was installed. i think i posted that already.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Try this
Disassemble1
or
Disassemble2

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Time to have some one else come have a look
I have asked for some help.
Could be active X not helping.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Hi galec,

First off to avoid any confusion between machines, unless peterm feels otherwise, lets stick to fixing one computer in this topic, and start another topic for each of your other machines (the air mattress fix can stay here though.......lol).

I have 7 folders, all users, all users.windows, default user, default user.windows, gail, gailc, gailee.
is it safe to delete the .windows, gail and gailc?

Yes, those were created by re-installing Windows. The ones currently in use should be the ones with the period in their name; users.windows, default user.windows
Having gail, gailc, gailee seems a bit strange (there should only be two), but gailee should be the current profile. A simple test would be to save something to My Documents and check which profile path it went into.
To check the All Users profile, right click the Start button and select Open All Users. Save a document there. See which All Users profile it was saved in, then delete it (the document).
You should be safe to delete the profile folders not in use. Make sure there's nothing you want from the gail and gailc profiles first, eg; documents, favorites, etc.

The error codes you are getting can be caused by ANY malfunctioning hardware, and you mentioned device manager showing a problem with the sound card. I know you're reluctant to go there, but we need to get all hardware issues resolved, so I suggest checking for updated drivers. Once you have those, uninstall those previously mentioned problem devices and reboot. Windows should find them on startup and re-install.

Is there anything else showing problems in Device Manager?

You have verified that the Quickbooks cd is OK by installing it on another system, but that doesn't rule out a possible problem with this comp's cd drive. Do you by chance have a cd drive cleaner disc? Compressed air available to blow out the drive? You might also want to try copying the disc to a folder of it's own on your harddrive, then run setup from there. If proper installation still fails, before brute force removing all related intuit/quickbook items with reg cleaners, etc, use Add/Remove programs ONLY to uninstall it, then download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

Run the tool and see if there's anything listed for Quickbooks/Intuit. If so, select it and click Remove. Should you notice any entries for any other uninstalled programs, remove them as well.

Reboot.

Remove any files/folders associated with Quickbooks and try installing again.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i deleted the folder gail and most of gailc. a folder named anitphising is still which i am not able to delete. still a no go on quickbooks. i cannot uninstall it using add/remove progs, it gives me the same error when i restart after installing. it's in this post somewhere. the only problems in device mgr are the ones i listed earler. i emailed ECS with this problem and i was told this "This means there is a multiple driver conflict in the system registry so if re-installing the drivers doesn't not resolve the issue, WINDOWS needs to be re-installed fresh from scratch." so i asked them what drivers, was sent this link http://www.ecs.com.t...d...uID=16 but i'm not sure which drivers i should use. i don't have intel chip i have amd. i have emailed them again.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Sound drivers at below link.

http://www.ecs.com.t...c...D=0&LanID=9

I've found it best to first uninstall problem devices from Device Manager, then re-install via Add/Remove Hardware using new drivers, rather than just updating the drivers.

Did you run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility? Try copying the quickbooks cd to a folder on the harddrive?

I'll look back through the topic again to refresh my memory of what happens when installing.

Advertisements

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have that sound driver, that shows no error in device manager. i also downloaded the sis agp vxd driver, it's video right?? i have not used that yet. my sound and video are working fine now. yes ran the cleanup utility, quickbooks does NOT show. i got the same error trying to install the copy from the hard drive, hence quickbooks still a no go.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP

i forgot to include that there are errors in device manger (i have no problem with audio, using sis7012audio driver): audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture drivers, media control devices, video codes. All have error code 39 and the troubleshooter states to uninstall and reinstall which i am fearful of doing, wondering if that would screw things up more??

Those are related to the sound card. Look at the properties for the sound card itself, properties tab and expand the devices. Select each and click properties, then verify that 'Use Audio Features on this Device' is checked. OK out of properties window(s) and click Action>Scan for Hardware Changes. If those items still show errors, I recommend you right click each and uninstall, then reboot and let Windows find and re-install them.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
sound is on the motherboard.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Please click Start>run and type msconfig then hit enter. Click Selective Startup and click OK, then allow restart. See if Quickbooks opens properly. (hopefully it's still installed???)

Edited by noahdfear, 25 September 2006 - 10:35 PM.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
oops went to fast. i will try the uninstall tmw and let you know what happens.