Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

College Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Im going to college in a few months and i need a laptop. I am a pc guy my self so i dont know to much about laptops. Can anyone point me in the right direction or send me a link to one you prefer. Thanks

Advertisements

doktrin

doktrin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I mentioned ibuypower.com in a similar thread just above (or below) this one. Really dont wanna be pumpin that particular site as I've -never- bought from them. Their laptops just look really sweet on paper.

Everything i'd need in a laptop for under $1600. From what I understand, though, their laptops hare loosely designed 'gaming' laptops - and in college where you're luggin a laptop around to class n [bleep] (well, maybe) - a gaming laptop might not be a good bet as they're typically more fragile and subject to bumps and bruises than a less snazzy counterpart.

maybe check out toshiba?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It depends on what you plan on using the laptop for and your price range. If you're planning on using it for any gaming then you will need to look for a dedicated video card such as the ATI X1600 or the nvidia GO7600. If you're not a gamer and are using it mainly for school/multitasking then the video card isn't as important and you will want to look at a dual core system with more RAM. I would recommend ACER, HP, or TOSHIBA. Go to www.newegg.com and check out the laptops they have there.

doktrin

doktrin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'd recommend going with the go7600 above the radeon x1600 for gaming. For multimedia, the x1600 is just fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x1600 is overkill for just mutlimedia its farily powerful and can hold its own in gaming just as well as anything else in its price range and with laptops there are other factors you dont generally get the choice of indivdual changes things come in packages.

doktrin

doktrin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm sayin, if you're gonna buy a gaming laptop - get somethin worth your coin (as they cost about the same, dependin on the rig). The 7600 stomps the x1600 in most conceivable ways ( Sure, you can play last years games 'decently' with the x1600. But you can get 30-50% better performance with the nvidia card in those same games... and thus if you're buyin a laptop 'now' you probably wanna play games that are released in the coming year - you stand a better chance of not having a glorified slideshow if you go with the superior card today.

Edited by doktrin, 15 September 2006 - 08:39 AM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
The Radeon mobility X1600 and the nvidia go 7600 perform very similarly in gaming benchmarks. Depending on the game, the 7600 may perform better or the other way around. If we were talking about their desktop counterparts, then the 7600 wins hands down, but we're talking about mobile gaming.