Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old DOS based menu system

Best Answer silent700 , 29 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

Hello all - I went looking for information on "Le Menu" while imaging old DOS floppies and ran across this ressurected thread.  I've extracted what seems to be the full installation of Le Menu... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Abragolas

Abragolas

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi!

I used Le Menu on an almost daily basis, back in 1991. Unfortunately, due to a virus infection and a lack of backup, this awesome shell went gone from my Acer 915P, DOS 4.0-based system. I even used Norton Disk Editor (from Norton 5 suite) to translate it in 1992-1993.

Does anyone still have a copy of it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Crapples

Crapples

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Just stumbled upon this forum as I've also been in a very retro mood the last few weeks. Installing Windows 3.0/3.11/95/ on a VM and playing some old games.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of "Le Menu" as it was the first program I ever experienced on a desktop computer back in the late 80's/early 90's. Old 286 machine my dad's built for us, god rest his soul past away in 1993.

Screenshots mentioned on 1st page don't work anymore but tracked this image down on Google Image Search - http://gctechguys.co.../lemenu1989.jpg

No luck so far searching torrent sites and all sorts of file sharing programs. HELP!

ohstanmoore

ohstanmoore

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a copy of this on 5.25, I loved it back in the DOS-OS/2 days.  I'll see if I can extract it and post a link.

Crapples

Crapples

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I have a copy of this on 5.25, I loved it back in the DOS-OS/2 days.  I'll see if I can extract it and post a link.

That would be so awesome if you could!!

Dibbes

Dibbes

• Pip
  • 4 posts

And? Have you been able to? After all these years I still haven't found a proper copy...

Crapples

Crapples

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Would be a great Xmas present!!!

ohstanmoore

ohstanmoore

• Pip
  • 2 posts

And? Have you been able to? After all these years I still haven't found a proper copy...

It was sadly not in the stack of 5.25s that I thought it was.  Old WP 5.1 font files and Lotus 1-2-3 files, but not the LeMenu diskette.  I know I had it on the same brand of floppy and wouldn't have thrown it out, but haven't found it yet.

silent700

silent700

• Pip
  • 2 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello all - I went looking for information on "Le Menu" while imaging old DOS floppies and ran across this ressurected thread.  I've extracted what seems to be the full installation of Le Menu 3.1 and zipped it up here:

http://nocarrier.net...BartelSoftware/

It's from a running copy (say hi to Vicky!) but it has the install.exe program, which might be enough to install a fresh copy.  If not, maybe the existing files could be modified.

Enjoy!

Crapples

Crapples

• Pip
  • 4 posts

This looks like it, ran the GO.BAT and Le Menu is working!

Silent700 thank you so much!!!

WarsawPact

WarsawPact

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Looks like silent700 beat me to the punch and by a minor revision number.  While imaging floppies I finally came across the Le Menu 3.0 installation disk.  Here are the notes for it:

• It is 3.0, whereas silent700's is apparently 3.1.

• It requires that the date be set to something before the 21st century during installation or the installation will not proceed with copying the file MENU.
    · Hitting any key just makes it copy the same files to that point and then stall again.
    · This is only necessary during installation as I changed back to 02-10-2019 afterward and it runs fine.

• It requires that command.com for your DOS version be present on the installation media.
    · If it gets to the point of asking for command.com and you don't have it, just exit the installation, copy the file yourself to Le Menu's installation folder, and it'll be fine.
    · Just the command interpreter (command.com) is necessary, not io.sys/msdos.sys or ibmbio.com/ibmdos.com.

• I have a Winimage .ima file I made of the installation disk, changed it from 360KB to 1.44MB, and it worked fine.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Grateful thanks to all the good folks here who have looked through their "old stuff" for this.

It's good to know that Le Menu lives on.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

OMG!!!  You guys are awesome!!!  I started this thread nearly 15 years ago and came across it again now completely by accident.  Thanks for the copy of LeMenu!!!  I'm such a nerd that this makes me so happy!!!!!!!!

Dibbes

Dibbes

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Link isn't working anymore! Aaarggghhh!!!

Can it be reposted, please???

I just got back to this thread after Dosbian was launched last week or so and wanted to get it on there... 

Edited by Dibbes, 04 May 2020 - 02:32 AM.

Dibbes

Dibbes

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello all - I went looking for information on "Le Menu" while imaging old DOS floppies and ran across this ressurected thread.  I've extracted what seems to be the full installation of Le Menu 3.1 and zipped it up here:

http://nocarrier.net...BartelSoftware/

It's from a running copy (say hi to Vicky!) but it has the install.exe program, which might be enough to install a fresh copy.  If not, maybe the existing files could be modified.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for resending it to me, It's greatly appreciated!

silent700

silent700

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello all - Dibbes contacted me directly looking for LeMenu.  Since I've changed domains for the software archive, it is no longer at the URL above.  This is the new location:

http://vtda.org/bits.../BartelSoftware

Hope you find it useful.