Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSI 865GVM2-LS motherboard: Sound issues

• Please log in to reply

DA IMP

DA IMP

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello there,

I just came by this forum and thought I might give it a try. Hope somebody can give me a couple pointers on this situation...

Like 2 months ago, I put a computer together from brand new parts. The aforementioned board, a 2.3GHz Celeron, DDR333 512, audio, video and network onboard. XP Professional SP2 with all patching up to date....
Nothing too special.

The computer works smoothly afaik (I made it for a client), except for some particular issues with its onboard audio (the typical VIA AC97 chipset I believe).

First of all, the front panel audio plug wouldn't give me a stereo playback. One of the speakers would only produce a faint noise. I checked and experimented with the case cables that plug into the motherboard, since for front panel, you need to plug more cables, and I could've messed it up. Eventually, I gave up and jumpered half the things so it'd use the usual plugs on the back. The front USB ports presented no issue whatsoever.
I just explained this one thing in case it does factor in.

Now, my current problem is that the background noise is still there, on the same speaker as before (don't remember which one right now). It's muffled 'cos now both speakers play out...

But it's a serious problem for my client, since one of the computer's usages involves sound edition, and the noise obviously shows up in any software they use.

I'm sure it's not the speakers' fault, as several other pairs have been tried already.

I know I should do more thorough checking, like seeing if the noise comes out all the time and not just when playing, or if recording via mic is affected as well. I just want to go solve this to my client's with at least some clue about this problem.

So far my ideas are pretty simple: Try to upgrade BIOS and drivers, make sure I did install all drivers present in the CD that came with the 'board, and pray...if it won't work, I'd have no better choices in my mind than to bring the thing to the hardware vendor.
I just want to see if there are better solutions first, since they're distributors, not really tech support...and replacing the 'board would mean having to disarm then rebuild the whole PC (only hardware-wise, fortunately). I wouldn't mind throwing this on their laps, sure, but they would take a long while to hand it back to me, and the last thing I need is making my client wait up longer...

Any ideas people? Thank you in advance, to those of you who bother reading through.

Advertisements

DA IMP

DA IMP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Just bumping this to make sure it doesn't get lost...hope that doesn't bother anyone.