Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too Many "window" Folders -> Can i delete some ?

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
System Restore can be run from outside of Windows using command prompt so starting a Restore operation shouldn't be a problem.

As for having a backup installation, I don't usually recommend that option on the same partition. If you have more partitions on the drive, you can install Windows to another partition and it will be added to the boot.ini when you install it.

However, it's better to create a backup image of your system using an application like Nero or Norton Ghost. That way, if you DO run into a major corruption, you can format, reinstall Windows, an then restore your system to it's current state using the image. I create an image right after a fresh install and then every two to three weeks after that. This is also a preferrable option in cases where the Hard Drive fails completely.

Advertisements

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Oic, the problem is that i have experienced my cmd not working at all. And at times when i've cmd working, i dont know the command and no chance i can do a system restore without getting online and searching for alternatives. Kind of troublesome.

I think having a backup installation on the same partition will do just fine for a computer idiot like myself.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are there any other executables that don't open or is cmd the only one giving you problems?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Ya, when i meant cmd doesnt open, it only happen when my comp is down with terrible virus/corrupted files, and all it does is restart itself repeatedly.

And the only way to solve this was to get the xp disc and change the boot order and reformat. Dont wanna go over to that state anymore. Takes too long. Thats why i was thinking a backup installation on the same partition will offer me a quick short-term solution.

Anyway, im off to bed, will check back in a few hours time :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll need to get rid of the other installations first. Go to Post #4 and follow the removal instructions. Once you have done that, we'll make sure everything is running as it should. Then we'll install your "backup" as a parallel installation.

Let me know how it goes...

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Alright. Deleted the folders and lines. Restarted comp and everything is working well, freed up some nice space as well ty =)

Any clue how much space will a "backup" takes up?

Also, i've been downloading files to my external hdd, but the space is eaten up in c drive. Why is that happening? I tried a search on my comp and couldnt find any file by the names i downloaded apart under my external drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

Any clue how much space will a "backup" takes up?

The way you want to do it...2.5 to 3 GB
For a backup image of the system...1 or 2 cd's

Also, i've been downloading files to my external hdd, but the space is eaten up in c drive. Why is that happening?

I'm not sure. What browser do you use for downloading?

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Wow, 2.5 to 3gb? I've only got 2 gb left on my hdd. Thats y i gotten myself an external one. By the word "backup" do u mean an exact duplicate? Is there alternative ways which require lesser space?

Im using Opera to download. Occasionally IE.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't use Opera so I can only guess at this part... :whistling: Does Opera use a download folder that it may be saving a copy of your downloads to?

Making system images (ISO) is the way to go...particularly is you are running low on drive space. There are applications available like Nero and Acronis True Image that do this very nicely.

You should set a system restore point now...if you haven't already.

Does the machine seem to be running good? Booting right to Windows as it should? All applications open and work as advertised?

This should clean things up and get the machine running even better.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

Edited by wannabe1, 15 September 2006 - 08:59 PM.

inite

inite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Opera has a download folder which i've checked that has no files which i've downloaded.

Making system images (ISO) means that i've to copy it to a dvd eventually ? I do not have a dvd driver nor anything that allows me to burn onto a cd. Can it still be done?

Trying out the Tune Up 2006 Trial now =)

Advertisements