Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp crashing with a ticking noise

• Please log in to reply

jpay

jpay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We recently moved (so the comp was moved, but properly packed) and installed cable internet (I've previously had it on this comp with this modem with no probs.)

Now the computer freezes and starts making a ticking noise and reverts to a blue screen telling me I have a kernel page error and it's doing a physical dump of all memory. if i immediately turn the computer off and back on i get a black screen, more ticking and a message that it can't find any operating system. if i wait a while and turn it back on it runs until the same prob happens again. it happens rather we're online or not, using the computer or not.

i've ran scandisc and it tells me that different files have been orphaned or that it is deleting an entry index (it seems to be a different file and message everytime.)

hp suggested a destructive recovery. it didn't help. my xp files are in a hidden partition so this system recovery is the only way to reboot windows.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Generally ticking noises are and indication of hardware failure. The behavior you describe indicates the hard drive is near complete failure . No noise and I'd say test the RAM and check the Power supply. I would still check the memory and PSU, maybe see if I could determine that the noise your hearing isn't coming from the HDD. If the PC is in warranty I would contact HP and insist on a replacement.