Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home netowk problem

• Please log in to reply

vitaum88

vitaum88

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok here we go...
I have 2 PCs.. one Laptop and one Desktop... i have a linksys-B wire/wireless router (the blue one) and one internet modem..
Everything is connected as it should, i have internet for both computers. The desktop (//Desktop) is hard wired and the laptop (//Laptop) is wireless, both in the MSHOME network... Their ips are 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.2, respectively. I set them up to get always this Ip on the IP configuration, under Network Connections. OK! Now the thing is, i've tried to put the filesharing thingy to work... I have folders and printers sharing from Desktop, and My Pictures folder sharing from laptop...
I couldnt access my laptop's files from the Desktop untill today, because i accessed the McAfee firewall and turned on the "Trust Network address" option. Now I can access everything from the Desktop... However, i cannot access anything from the Laptop to the Desktop.. it says that basic error message "//Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied"
I'm logged as the Admin for both computers..
i appreciate any help.. and by the way, i'm brazilian, so i'm sorry for the bad english!!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I had run into a very similar problem. What I did was created a new user that was an admin on both machines, seperate from what you have now. That way when I go to share files it asks for a username and password, I use the one I have on both.

I know you are using admin right now, but try and create a new admin user from scratch with the same name and password on both computers.

Let me know.

vitaum88

vitaum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
yeah i just tried that, and i got the same error.. what i did was create 2 accounts named Victor with pass 123 for both, and then reboot the PCs. then i logged on with one on each computer.. i could access the laptop files, but no the desktop..
the problem still exists. :whistling:

vitaum88

vitaum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
please sum1 help me!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I didnt log onto the machines with that account. I logged on as my ususal admin account. I just used that common name and password when I tried transferring files from the machines.

vitaum88

vitaum88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
but it doesnt ask for any password when i click on it :whistling: it just says access denied!

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
http://support.micro....com/kb/304040/

http://compnetworkin...filesharing.htm

The first link will make sure that you have everything set up correctly. The second link will help you troubleshoot any problems.

Let me know if these help.