Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running Several HDD's under XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

Redlazer

Redlazer

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ok.

I used to have two IDE HDDs, then i upgraded to two additional drives, both SATA.

So at this point, i have four HDD's, two IDE and two SATA.

The IDE's and one SATA are 80gigs, the other Sata is 120.

My primary HDD starts to act funny, so i replace it. However, i buy a 300gig SATA, because the local place where i buy them was having a sale on them. (100 bucks!)

So, i take out the old IDE, put windows on the other 80 IDE, and get ready to move my data around to where i want it.

I can only see two SATA drives.

Now, heres the obvious concern:

Is it possible to view a non-raided drive through a raid controlled SATA port?

I have a Gigabyte K8NS 939-Ultra motherboard.

It has 4 SATA ports. Two are standard, two are raid.

Is there a limitation to what Windows can display?

I also tried setting up two of the drives in raid, but they show up as seperate drives in windows, yet i have them set up as an array in the bios.

More details if you need them : )

-Red

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes usually the RAID SATA ports can handle single drives, really you have two SATA RAID controllers your standard ones should be RAID capable as well just not as good as the RAID(guessing its a silicon image) should just read the single no bother so try that. Also put XP on the fastest of your SATA drives to boost performance, so if one is SATA2 put it on that or if one has a larger cache use that.

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Very true with the performance boost, but im not too concerned in that regard : )

However, i cannot see one of the SATA drives in Disk Management ><

-Red

Redlazer

Redlazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Any thoughts?

-Red