Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home errors when booting

• Please log in to reply

Gyorys

Gyorys

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Recently my PC shut down unexpectedly. When I reboot I saw the Windows XP start up screen briefly then the screen went black with the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system\config\system

Tou can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD_ROM.

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

I tried the fix from Microsoft but could not find the SYSTEM file. There was a system.bak file which I copied to the config directory. After I robooted again I received the following error message:

LSASS.EXE When trying to update a password the return status returned current password not correct.

It is a Dell 8200. I think I received this error because it is an OEM installation of XP.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your recovery disks or an actual xp home disk? the microsoft steps sometimes won't work with a recovery disk...
do you have access to an actual XP home disk?

Gyorys

Gyorys

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I do have the XP home disks that were sent with the system from Dell.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You might want to look at Fred Langs's article on how to fix such errors. If you have a floppy drive you will need the XP Setup disks to use the Recovery Console if your Dell disk doesn't allow you to access RC.

jettybest

jettybest

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is a complicated repair procedure. You need professional knowledge to do this. I suggest find some professional people give you a hand.......