Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this overheating?

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi everyone

The computer is Win XP Pro SP1, AMD Duron 1.2 processor, 380 MB RAM, and it shows at start up that the

CPU is 40 C / 105 F

HD 20 C / 78 F

Aux 20 C / 78 F

The computer starts up alright, then about 5 mins later will freeze up. When I restart, the CPU is 42 C / 108 F.

When I leave it off for a while, 20 mins or more, restart then the temps are all around 20 C / 78 F.

Installed Everett and watched the temps. The CPU raises, slowly, but still raises.

The two fans are blowing cool air. One on the CPU and the other on the botton of the case.

I am trying to track down a Win XP Pro disk at this time.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It does not look like temp's are your problem. Look at your event viewer and see if there is any yellow or red marks there. Something else to check is if you have both the bios and windows controlling the power options in the computer. Use only one and turn everything off on the other.

SRX660

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thank you SRX660

Just turned on the computer and checked. There are no red or yellow marks.

Checked the power option and it's turned off.

If you have a big hammer, can try that...kidding

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Hmmm, i wonder if you stayed in the bios for a long period of time( 10 minutes) would the computer lock up then? If not then it would seem that something in the OS is causing the lockup. Does it matter what you are doing when it locks up? I'm looking for maybe a certain driver or software that has a corruption causing the lockup. Has these lockups start recently? Was software installed just before? Just some ideas to look at for you. Have you run memtest86 to see if your memory is good?

SRX660

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks for your reply SRX660

It loads up fine, the BIOS screen is on for maybe 10 secs and then it goes to the welcome screen, I pick a user and it goes to the desktop.

Using IE 6, I download programs, CCleaner, Spybot and Adaware with no trouble. When I try to install, sometimes it just sits there. When I restart, it works.

I will try running memtest86, didn't think about that.

A friend said he might have a disk, will know tomorrow sometime.

Now I have that svchost problem when I go to the Windows Update page. The svchost.exe file takes 99 % of the CPU and the little green bar goes across the screen for hours. Trying something to fix that.

I ran a panda, on line scan, nothing found. Ran Adaware, found 3 things, deleted. Did a disk clean up with CCleaner and defragged it. It's running better, but still freezes up after around 10 - 15 mins.

Thanks again for your advise, will let you know how it goes.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi SRX660

Just thought I let you know, I took out some bad memory sticks and replaced the power supply, had one in the closet. It's not freezing up anymore, but still have that svchost.exe problem.

Going to take it over a friend's house on Monday, he told me over the phone to bring it by. He had the same problem and knows what to do.

Thanks for your help

coffeedrinker

Have a cup on me. (_)>