Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown files filling up Windows Temp Directory

• Please log in to reply

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Dell Dimension 8300 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce Video Card, C: & D: drives, CD-ROM, DVD -/+R/RW CD-R/RW, etc.

1. My computer is filling the C:\Windows\Temp directory with undeletable files. As re-boot occurs those undeletable files become deletable the more undeletable files are created. When I try to delete an undeletable file it reports the file is undeletable because the system is using the file. These files are 0 bytes in size and show no path where they can be traced to the offending application. If I boot in 'safe mode' I can delete them but they reappear upon the next boot. Example of the files:
sqlite_M97q4S4T3sSH1Yu. Anyone know what these files are?

2. Along that line what is creating the WGAErrlog.txt and WGANotify.settings files?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
1) Temporary files are a natural process in windows, a cleaner such as ccleaner should do the trick the clear them. As long as their is no applications/processes running from the temp folder there is nothing to worry about.

2) WGA - Windows Genuine Advantage tool... read more at wikipedia

Hope this helps !

Blacklion213

Blacklion213

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thank you for the replies.

I really am not worried about the files now that I know why they are there. What bothers me is they can fill up the 'windows\temp' directory if not kept in check. This I know from actually seeing the difference, even though the files are of 'zero' value, boot time is effected. My computer boot time was decreased when I discovered and deleted these files.

I wish there was a program that would automatically delete the deletable files every bootup. That would keep the 'safe mode' boots to a minimum.

Again, thank you very much for the information/help with this matter.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In Internet Explorer>Tools> Internet Options> General tab> Temp Internet Files> Settings
Use the slider provided to go down to about 80MB or so. As new temp files are created, old ones are overwritten. By default, IE keeps so many temp files it takes a long time for them to clear out. It is good to keep some temp files, because pages will load faster on regular visits, but keep too many and XP just has a mountain to sort through before determining that it does/doesn't have that you are calling for. With broadband, a refresh is faster.
Hope this helps.
Johanna