Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply

Pman

Pman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
On startup at times (most times) my computer freezes up after everything has been loaded. No cursor movement, no F functions, even Ctrl/Alt/Del won't work. I have to do several cold restarts before Windows 98SE will work once loaded. There are no error messages, it simply stops working.

P.S. - I had not downloaded or added anything new at the time the problem cropped up.

Edited by Pman, 15 September 2006 - 08:46 PM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Pman
Lets try a quick and easy.
What I put in blue is what you type what I put in red is what you do.
Start the computer and start tapping F8
You will get a menu with a choice of how to start the computer.
Choose Command Prompt only (5)
C:>scanreg /restore Enter (there is a space between scanreg and the /)
You will be given a list of 5 times the computer started without trouble
Pick one from before you started to have trouble and click OK

Edited by peterm, 16 September 2006 - 02:56 AM.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks. I'll shut down and give that a try. However, I think i tried doing R8 during starup last night and nothing hapened. It just continued to load normally then locked up when everything was loaded. Let me try it again first though.

Just got off a 12 hour shift so give me a bit to try this.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Nope :whistling: F8 did nothing during startup. Luckily I didn't have to do any cold restarts this time.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok As soon as the computer starts - whilst you still have the black screen showing start tapping F8
Regards
Peterm

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry ... F8 button does nothing no matter when or how often it hit it. :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok hold the CTRL key in and start the computer - does this help?
What kind of computer is it Dell,IBM, HP Generic etc

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I put it together from scratch about 5 years ago. Soyo motherbaord (I'd have to run one of those system check programs to tell you the model number. I've long forgotten it) I know it's old but it's run just fine all these years until just a few weeks ago. I'll try the ctrl thingy next shutdown.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The bad news . . . it ignored ctrl just like it did F8 . . . the good news, i needed no cold restarts this time.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I could, i suppose just use GoBack and revert to before i got the problem, but, i'd lose several stories and other stuff I've done since then.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok start the machine go to Start > Shutdown >restart in msdos mode.
then try scanreg /restore
Go back is a great program I run it on all my computers expect my macs but as you say you do loose some documents.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I ran the thing you said. it gave me 4 options, the farthest one away was 4 days ago (9-16-06) I don't think this is going to help but we shall see

If not, I guess I will do a goback. and redo the missing stuff. Sigh.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I take it you do not have a burner. are the files smaller enough to copy to a floppy or can you email the files to cyberspace then pick them back up

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I can go get some blank cdr's today. before today... no. It should be ok just take some time to reload everything, and to copy the new stuff... cor

thanks for the all the help :whistling:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You should look at something like partion magic where you can load you os on to one partion and all other onto the 2nd partion. If you use go back then you only have to burn what you have done since the problem. Sorry I could not get you going.