Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezes on startup

• Please log in to reply

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. unfortuntely even goback didn't. 1) it didn't go back far enough and 2) it didn't finish the one I chose. Something about I had written too much stuff since then.Sigh. Guess I'm going to have to reformat. Good thing I bought those cdr's.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok Pman then lets try this - I assume it does boot sometimes ?
If you can get the computer to boot
Startup>run msconfig ok
on the General tab choose selective startup untick process autoexec and config click ok and reboot

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK I did that and it rebooted fine but I had like 14 icons on the bottom of the display. Everything was enabled. What was this supposed to do?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi Pman
So it boots fine , does it run fine? can you do a screnn capture? press print screen go Start>programs>accesories>paint. Paste into paint save the file then attach the file I would like to see what the icons are.
Peterm

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
That will have to be tomorrow. i'm off for a 12 hour shift at work shortly. Will try that tomorow when I get home

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Ok But is it running any better ?

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
May be back-pedaling a bit, but see if this will get the selective startup menu for you.

Do a search for the file msdos.sys (should be in C:\)
Open a command window and type the following command, then hit enter.

attrib -r -h -s c:\msdos.sys (adjust filepath as necessay)

Close the command window. Now right click the file and Open With>notepad
Under the options section, add the following.

BootMenu=1

Close and save changes. Suggest you right click>properties and reset at least the read only attributes, if not the hidden as well.

Caution: Do NOT remove anything from the msdos.sys file. It's size must remain at least 1,024 bytes.

Reboot.

Startup Troubleshooting methods in the following link.
http://support.micro...kb/188867/en-us
Using the suggested msconfig methods would be a good starting point.

When it does freeze up, does it come out of it if you wait long enough?

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Peterm Ok But is it running any better ? - not really, if I put the autoexec back to normal it still freezes several times at first bootup (restarts once it is running usually work fine though I tend not to do them if I don't have to) Hmmm how do I get the screen capture of the actual desktop and not just the folders and stiff listed in desktop?

noahdfear When it does freeze up, does it come out of it if you wait long enough? - not that I have noriced but I refuse to wait more than 10 minutes or so. If nothing else works I'll give your suggestion a try

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
If everything is fine when not processing autoexec.bat on startup, locate the autoexec.bat file in C:\, right click and choose edit. Copy it's contents and post them here.

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
OK, first here is the attached screenshot for peterm I hope it's all there
(Hmm, why didn't it attach?) Dang! Is it too big, maybe? got another idea.

http://img.photobuck...man/Desktop.jpg

Edited by Pman, 23 September 2006 - 01:03 PM.

Advertisements

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
noahdfear - here's the autoexec.bat file

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\BOOTUP.EXE

C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP
Good chance it's one of these entries causing the problem.

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\BOOTUP.EXE

C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM

Edit one out and save, then reboot. (make sure you don't have autoexec.bat set to off in msconfig)

Is there an autoexec.bak file? Contents?

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The AVG (C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\BOOTUP.EXE) program was only added in the last week or so. It's a free virus scanner prog. The problem has been with me much longer than that.

I will check this one though. (C:\VIAUDIO\VIAUDIO.COM) It's been with me from day one. perhaps there's an update I'm unaware of.

noahdfear

noahdfear

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 1,316 posts
  • MVP

perhaps there's an update I'm unaware of

LOL.......I was thinking the same thing........update sound card drivers. :whistling:

Pman

Pman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok I've taken the VIA thing out for now... but, I won't know if that worked until I do a cold start. Restarts after the computer is running properly always work, as far as i know. I have not noticed a 'restart' not to work. It is the cold starts (after the puter has been off for a while) when the problem occurs.

However, leaving it on all the time is not an option either. It sometimes freezes when in screensaver mode and I have to restart.