Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Default Audio Devices

• Please log in to reply

chaefner

chaefner

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well last night my audio stopped working. I'm not to sure why. Then this morning I found out that there is No Playback Devices, No Recording Devices, and No MIDI Playback Devices(it is all greyed out). I don't really know what to do... I've tried going to my sound device and it is enabled. I also went to the properties tab and checked all of those, same thing. I am really stumped at what to do next and how to fix it. Hopefully somebody on here can help. How do I go about changing the default audio devices?? When I try to open the volume control it says there is no active mixer device available.

I also just found this. In the Device Manager under Sound, video, and game controllers there is an exlimation mark in a yello circle next to Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver. When I check te properties on it says "A driver [service] for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)" Any ideas what that means??

Thanks for reading.

Edited by chaefner, 15 September 2006 - 10:41 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Go to the audio device (the one with the yellow !) and right click on it, look for the option to roll back to the previous driver.