Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Problems....

• Please log in to reply

xXxMAtRiX

xXxMAtRiX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,

I recently have had some problems with my hard drive so I decided to look online and found this website, after doing some searching through the forums I had not found any 'fix' to my problem...

Basically I was installing another hard drive and my main disk did not start up at all when I tried booting up my computer, I tried putting it in an external drive and realized that it didn't start completely because no noise or anything was put forth and it didn't load the files from it to my other PC.

I have a lot of needed data on the hard drive and was wondering if there was any possible way to at least get the data back if I cannot repair the drive itself.

Thanks for the help!

-xXxMAtRiX

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Let's see if I understand this correctly, you tried to install a second hard drive and when you did this, the primary drive quit working? Have you checked the cable connections (power and EIDE ribbon cable)? Do you have a bootable CD, like your windows install cd? You could try booting from that and then run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics program on the drive. You will find links to most hard drive manufacturers diagnoitics at http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40
See the sticky post at the top of the forum. You may need to access the bios to change your boot order to boot from cd first.

xXxMAtRiX

xXxMAtRiX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've checked the ribbons (also tried other power cables and ribbons) and made sure they were secured good. However I don't think getting into the diagnostics would help considering it doesn't turn on completely right? thanks for the help so far! :whistling: