Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows NT dialer found in XP

• Please log in to reply

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Hi people, I have windows XP (sp2) installed and I was just browsing some files and folders and noticed a Windows NT folder amongst my PRogram Files.

Within the NT folder it has A folder called Accessories, dialer, hypertrm,Pinball and a hyper terminal applt library.

Anyway, I have never noticed his folder before, and I am wondering how and why it is there?

Anyone know how it could have got there, and if it's dangerous in an way?

Thanks,

:whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Microsoft does not know what type of computer the OS is going on. So they have to include many programs and files that let every computer work. Many people are still using dialup modems so microsoft includes the programs needed so they can use the modem to get on the internet. The files your looking at are there in every copy of XP. They don't hurt anything if you don't use dialup and they cant be used by outside sources as they need to be run and settings made particular to that computer and internet connection. I would not worry about them and at 4 mb is not large enough files to worry about deleting them. They come in handy when you want to sell a computer and need to install a modem for the people to be able to get on-line. If you do need to use a regular phone line to get on the internet you need those files.

SRX660

Carter Hayes

Carter Hayes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Ok, thanks for letting me know

:whistling: