Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forgot administrator password :/

• Please log in to reply

olymoore

olymoore

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all, I am trying to repair my xp installation with the repair tools on the xp disk but when i get to when i choose what installation to repair it asks for a password. I dont know what the password is and i havent changed it so is the same pass on each disk if it hasn't been changed e.g. password or 1234? If not is there anyway to find it out taking into consideration that i cant get on to xp thats why i am trying to repair it. Thanks in advance. Oly

Edited by olymoore, 16 September 2006 - 11:45 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
XP will always ask for the admin password if a password for it was not set. If you were the one who installed Windows and you definitely did not give the admin account a password at that time or since, just leave the password field blank and press ENTER or whatever to proceed -- it should let you in.

If it insists on having a password entered, then it's possible that someone else set a password for it at some time -- maybe someone other than yourself installed Windows on your PC, or they've used your PC and set a password for the admin account without telling you?

Edited by pip22, 16 September 2006 - 12:47 PM.

olymoore

olymoore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

XP will always ask for the admin password if a password for it was not set. If you were the one who installed Windows and you definitely did not give the admin account a password at that time or since, just leave the password field blank and press ENTER or whatever to proceed -- it should let you in.

If it insists on having a password entered, then it's possible that someone else set a password for it at some time -- maybe someone other than yourself installed Windows on your PC, or they've used your PC and set a password for the admin account without telling you?

Thanks pip22, I bought it off a friend but he says he didn't remember whether he set a password or not. So i will try what you suggested and get back to you.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think you already know but if the password on administrator has not been set by you then normally it is username: administrator and just leave the password slot blanc(don't type anything) press enter.

olymoore

olymoore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It all worked fine thanks alot for your help guys :whistling:

butch.p102

butch.p102

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i forgot my admin password. wont let me download or change settings. keeps tellinh me i need admin permission. my cpu wont let me go to safemode with F8. what can i do