Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 bit windows subsystem

• Please log in to reply

youngratty

youngratty

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm having major problems browsing the internet and am trying to figure out what might be wrong with my pc. I have a 'new' error message on startup:-

16 bit windows subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microspft Windows applications, Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

and haven't a clue what it means or whether it might have something to do with my browsing problems.
I've found the error message on microsoft's site, but all the solutions seem to include using the Windows XP disk. My pc came with this pre-loaded, so I don't have a disk.

Does anyone have any suggestions please???

Thanks very much
Youngratty :blink: :whistling:

Edited by youngratty, 16 September 2006 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you installed a early windows program on your computer? Heres microsofts answer.

http://support.micro....com/kb/324767/

Find a friend that has a xp cd that you can use.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This installaton program will reinstall the missing or corrupt Windows XP system files command.com, autoexec.nt and config.nt. The absence or corruption of one or more of these files causes a "16 Bit Subsystem" error.

We recommend that you download this file and save it to your desktop or to another location where you can find it. Double click on the file to run it once it's downloaded. If problem reoccurs in the future, simply re-run this program.

http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/

number 4 down in the list

It's called XP FIX.exe

SRX660

youngratty

youngratty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ooooh - Thanks SRX660! A fast and fab fix from over the pond!

Certainly got rid of my error message. I've downloaded Internet Explorer 7 which has speeded up some of the browsing problems too, though there's still something not quite right and it still won't open certain sites (completely dull and 'normal' ones like Ordnance Survey) - and it won't go near 'MySpace', which is driving my teenagers barmy! (It either only slowly downloads or part downloads pages & won't open images at all)

I use Norton, Spybot, AdAware etc and don't know quite why these particular sites have suddenly become so difficult. (They all work perfectly well on this wireless laptop).

Any ideas what I could check or where I should be looking for answers?

Many, many thanks for your help :whistling:
Youngratty x