Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot View Graphics

• Please log in to reply

Richardb02

Richardb02

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I may have posted this to the wrong forum and I may be out of line but please bear with me and feel free to redirect me as needed. I had a trojan and other problems in July. I went through the hours and hours of cleaning, running Hijack This and cleaning some more. The system was pronounced clean and runs fine. The only problem is that many graphics are "Xed" out in Hotmail using "Explorer" as well as using Safe-mail and some proprietary system being used by www.amfarm.com. In some of these email programs instead of an X in the box it actually has 3 symbols in the box colored red square, blue triangle and a green circle. I suspect that something I have installed is probably blocking these graphics to protect the computer from viruse, trojans, malware etc. If that is a good possibility I would prefer to invest my time in a procedure to identify what is blocking the graphics. Thank you.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Richard,

This usually means that either your cache is full or your Java Virtual Machine has been damaged.

Updating Java and Clearing Cache
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on the Java Icon (coffee cup) in the Control Panel.
  • It will say "Java Plug-in" under the icon.
    Please find the update button or tab in the Java Control Panel. Update your Java then reboot.
  • If you are unable to update you can manually update by going here:
  • After the reboot, go back into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.
  • Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
  • There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 CheckedDownloaded Applets
    Downloaded Applications
    Other Files
  • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.
Regards,

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Metallica, I followed your directions as well as I could and the situation is still the same. In fact the "Locked Topic" icon on the Geeks to Go site is nothing more than a square with an "x" in it.

Where I was unable to follow your instructions was in downloading the new version of Java. I had Java set to download automaticly on the 22nd of each month. It did so on September 22. Manually downloading stops when it sees the current version and says to uninstall Java and then download. I went to Control Panel and the Add or Remove Program and looked for Java after the list was populated. I cannot find Java on that list even though I reviewed it 4 times. Is there another way to uninstall Java or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you, Richard

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Click Start > Run > and copy this command into the window:
MsiExec.exe /I{3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0150060}
Click OK to execute the command.

If you ever installed Java the Windows Installer will now ask you to confirm if you want to uninstall J2SE
Confirm and follow the prompts.
You will probably be asked to reboot when you are done.

Then proceed with the set of instructions I posted earlier.

Regards,

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Metallica, your instructions worked perfectly. Java ws unistalled and then I was able to use the instructions to manually install Java. I again deleted the files and tested the various emails that do not show graphics. And again the graphics are not there. Only the little box with either an "x" in it or 3 little icons. What else can it be? I have a lot of spyware, adware, malware, trojan ware etc. on this computer because I was hacked in July. Could any of those programs be the cause of the graphics not displaying? Again even the "Locked Topic" icon on the Geeks to Go website does not display. Thanks, Richard.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Lets take another stab at emptying your cache.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Regards,

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello Metallica, ATF worked fine and removed 128,653,278 bytes. Unfortunately the emails I tested still do not show graphics. The "Locked Topic" icon on GTG still is just a box with an "x" in it. Your Metallica icon in motion seems new to me. What can we do next to improve the lack of graphics?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

Your Metallica icon in motion seems new to me.

I've had that for years, so we must be making progress. :whistling:

Can you rightclick that "Locked Topic" icon and choose "Reload image"
I'm not sure about the exact phrasing, I translated from Dutch so it might be slightly difefrent.
Let me know if it gets displayed then.

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Metallica, I right clicked on the "Non-displays" and looked for something like Reload Image. The only choices I get that are not grayed out are:
Save picture as...
Email picture...
Print picture...
Go to My Pictures
Set as background
Set as desktop item...
Copy
Add to Favorites
Send to [But the next window does not show up]
Page information [But the next window does not show up]
Add to Compaq Organize...
Customize Menu
RoboForm Toolbar
Properties

There is a grayed out choice of "Show Picture" but it doesn't work since it is grayed out.

I appreciate your help.

Edited by Richardb02, 29 September 2006 - 07:39 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts

Unfortunately the emails I tested still do not show graphics.

Which program are you using for email?
And is it set to display mail in HTML?
I know mine isn't. :whistling:

Advertisements

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I use hotmail, safe-mail and my employers ISP.
My Employers ISP has the most problems. I can toggle HTML off and on on most emails. Some graphics are then visible but most are Xed out.
Hotmail is almost as bad. It is set to display in HTML.
Safe-mail is the best at the moment. I have it set in HTML even though that slows things down a bit.
I have always had some graphics not displaying but it has increased dramatically since I was hacked by trojans, spyware etc and went through the cleanup process. I also have a lot of protection running.
How can we get this figured out?
Thank you for your help.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The problem is that it is hard for me to tell if you are having problems with images that are "on the web" only or if it also concerns "local" files.

From the sound of it, your connection is not too hot and the download just stops before all the images are loaded.
If that is true there isn't much we can do about it from your computers end.

But maybe someone else has some good ideas. I'll ask around.

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I am not tracking with you here. I have a cable connection and downloads seems very quick to me. Now, my employer's email system is very slow. Is there some type of timing mechanism involved here?

I usually read Fox News through my email. But I just went to www.foxnews.com and all the grphics work except the blocks that are advertisements. Most of the blocks have the word "Advertisement" in them. Some of the blocks have "Sponsored by" in them. Could my adware or malware be blocking these links?

I do appreciate all of your help and also learning if anyone else has any great ideas.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
It could be. Are you using some sort of Ad-Blocker?
Or maybe something that blocks a number of sites?
Like partner2profit.com and doubleclick.net
F.e. a hosts file like this one:
http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

Richardb02

Richardb02

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi M, that last recommendation helped some more, especially with Hotmail. Unfortunately it did not help my employer's email. I will have to assume that the problem with that email system is strictly in their system and not related to my computer. The "locked topic icon" on GTG is still some sort of block on my computer. I have Ad-aware but Ad-Watch is definitely not running since I have not upgraded yet. No-Adware did have shields running. I have jsut turned them off. I will reboot and post an update. Thank you.