Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics problems. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

MTHoople

MTHoople

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks

I'm wondering if you good people might be able to help me. I know I'm running a slightly rubbish OS, but I'm not great at computers and haven't got round to upgrading...

Anyway I recently bought Myst 4 revelation - my girlfriend and I are big fans of the series. I installed it but it said that it couldn't play unless I installed more up to date drivers for my graphics card. It installed DirectX 9.0c for me.

My graphics card is an NVIDIA 6800M2 GeForce2MX_200/MX_100 (whatever that all means). It was installed with a driver called 6X00 for WinME. I went to the NVIDIA website and installed the Geforce and TNT2 driver for Win ME.

Upon rebooting my computer went haywire - windows would start booting up my usual stuff, then the monitor screen would turn off completely and lights would flash up and down. The monitor would not go back on. So i booted in safe mode and deleted lots of nvidia files, which allowed me to boot windows again and re-install the old drivers.

Unfortunately now I seem to be stuck with 32 colours or something. And when I boot up i get a message about a missing NVstartup file in NVcpl.dll. And my computer seems to crash a lot too.

What can i do? Do i need a new graphics card? Or a new operating system?

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Matt

Advertisements

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi MTHoople,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

From the sounds of things you've a driver issue, incidentally always "uninstall" don't just delete there's a chance that had you done this when in safe mode originally you could have avoided your current problem.
Anyway just thought I'd let you know about that now to your problem.

If you're limited to 16 colours I would think that it's because your drivers aren't installed correctly or just not working right. Get the latest graphics drivers for your system here. Boot into safe mode and "uninstall" them, if you can get hold of a driver cleaner, "drivercleaner" is okay go here, you can then after uninstalling the drivers wipe them from your drive (you should download this BEFORE going into safe-mode as the internet will be unavailable then).

Once everything has been done, uninstall and driver clean, install the previously downloaded compatible drivers.

Hope that helps.

- Pseudopath.

MTHoople

MTHoople

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there

Many thanks for your reply. I managed to get manually to a point where the old graphics driver was working and things were running fairly ok. When I feel brave enough I'll do what you say and try and uninstall the old graphics driver properly.

Would be nice if the old graphics driver had an uninstll option in the first place...

Thanks again for your time

Matt

Pseudopath

Pseudopath

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Hi there

Many thanks for your reply. I managed to get manually to a point where the old graphics driver was working and things were running fairly ok. When I feel brave enough I'll do what you say and try and uninstall the old graphics driver properly.

Would be nice if the old graphics driver had an uninstll option in the first place...

Thanks again for your time

Matt

Your welcome.

When and if you do try my suggestion please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

As for uninstalling the old graphics driver if they were installed as part of a package (similar to the new one I provided I link to) and they usually are then you should find the uninstall option in the Control Panel under "Add/Remove Programs".

Hope that helps.

- Pseudopath.