Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Camera won't install

• Please log in to reply

rowantree

rowantree

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I plugged in my camera (Nikon Coolpix 3200) to my laptop (Dell Inspiron B120) , Windows XP detected it, asked me if I wanted to load the pics off the camera. I clicked no because I had installed Kodak's photo software & was going to use their program to load the pics. I had no problem loading the pics into the Kodak software, but then for some reason the albums got messed up. So I uninstalled the Kodak software.

Tried plugging in my camera & the computer doesn't recognize it as being plugged in and/or turned on. It's not listed in the device manager.

I deleted all entries for Kodak in my registry, then did a search in windows xp. I found files for Kodak still, so I deleted those, but there are files that can't be deleted. These are:

Name: kodak
In Folder: C:\i386\DRIVER.CAB
Name: kodak_dc
In Folder: C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab
Name: kodak_dc

I thought this is what might be causing the problem but then I tried a different computer & it won't recognize the camera either. I tried the troubleshooting for windows & got no where. I tried installing the camera through the windows program but my camera model isn't listed.

I did install the photo program that came with the camera, hoping this would work, but it didn't. The program won't recognize the camera either.

Should I try re-installing the Kodak software to see if that fixes it?

Thanks.
Kelly

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may think this is ignoring the actual problem but there is a much easier way of getting camera pics onto your PC without connecting the camera at all --- get a card reader which plugs into your PCs USB port.
They are cheap to buy and you can leave it plugged into your PC and just pop your camera's memory card into it to transfer the pics.

Much easier than fiddling with a cable connected to the camera.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I guess it is a driver mismatch, please try this for me:

Place install cd in drive

runbox command
press: winkey + r button
type: devmgmt.msc
press: enter
see if in the disk drives there is a yellow blob, or see if your camera is seen there.
Eitherway, please righthand click it, uninstall the yellow blob or the camera(we are reinstalling from CD), top of window click scan for new devices, and when prompted browse to the cd, press enter.

rowantree

rowantree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, I love the idea of the card reader, will have to check that out. I didn't get an installation disk with the camera.

I did finally figure out the culprit just a few minutes ago though. The USB cable is bad. I can't remember if it's not only a year old or if it's 2 years old. Found one on eBay for $8, including shipping. So I bought it. But I will be going to Best Buy to check out the card reader for the computer, that sounds like the best way to go, especially since the USB cable is so cheaply made.

Thanks so much!

:whistling:

Kelly

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get the card reader (which is the easiest way), whenever you need to format the card, format it in the camera as the camera may not like the way a PC formats the card

rowantree

rowantree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure to format the memory card in the camera then. Thanks again!