Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shut off after intensive cpu usage

• Please log in to reply

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just recently built a computer with windows xp home edition with no updates. The cpu is a amd athlon 64

X2 4600+ with 4 GB of RAM. The computer loads fine and if I only use it to go on the internet it will run fine

all the time. When I do something cpu intensive such as transcode a video or play a game the computer will

shut off after about 10 minutes. I thought it was heating but when I felt the heatsink it wasn't very hot. I am

wondering if anyone has any experience with this problem. I would appreciate any feedback or helpful tips

anyone can give. Thanks.

Jeff

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
that is the sign of the CPU overheating especially with AMD processors. I would test it by opening the side case and try it then, it should run better with a bit more airflow.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Or download Speed Fan and install it.

You can use it to watch the temperatures, and even adjust fan speeds.

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I know it seems like it is overheating but it doesn't seem that hot. My motherboard has a built-in temp and

when it shut-off the temperature was 51 C. It usually runs around 40 C. Anyone know if 51 C is very hot? Is

it hot enough to shut down the computer? Anyones suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Anyone know if 51 C is very hot?

Not hot enough to be trouble.

Does the computer shut down, or does it actually restart? And have you always had this problem, or has it just begun? And if it has just begun, have you tried a system restore?

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer shuts down. And I don't mean windows goes through a shut down process, the computer just turns off like the power has been cut off.

I have always had this problem since I built the computer about a month ago. I am thinking it has to be a hardware problem since its not just specific to a certain program and I have re-formatted and installed windows 3 times to see if it was from a bad install. I have also used two different XP disks for the install and still have the problem.

Considering its not because of overheating I am hoping someone has had a similar experience and give me some insight. Unfortunately I don't have any spare compatible parts to test everything so I think I'm a little screwed if no one can help me.

I have not updated windows XP because I am sitting on a dial-up internet connection until I go back to school. I am thinking maybe that would help but I doubt it. If anyone can help I will really appreciate it. I'm not really looking forward to paying some guy a bunch of money to tell me my motherboard is bad or something. Thanks.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Complete spontaneous shut down, as if the power was cut...this might be out of my league, but there are some diagnostic tools you can use that may reveal the answer, or at the very least narrow down the possibilites.

If you haven't already done so, please download Speed Fan and install it.

Start Speed Fan. When it is fully loaded, take a screen shot of the first screen by pressing Print Screen/SysRq on your keyboard. Open Paint and paste. Save the screenshot as a JPEG and post it in a reply to me. Now click on the tab called S.M.A.R.T.. Select your hard drive by using the drop-down box at the top. Now take a screenshot of that as well. Post it in your reply to me as well.

NOTE: For certain computers, Speed Fan will not display accurate measurements. If the temperature wildly fluctuates or doesn't change at all, let me know, otherwise I will believe the mesurements are accurate.

In addition, download Stress Prime

After you download it, double-click on it (which opens the CAB that it is in) and drag the program to your desktop. Now you can run it. Click on the drop-down box at the top and select Large, in-place FFTs - stress RAM and click Start

If it detects a fatal error, it will stop automatically and then report it. Let me know if that happens.

Otherwise, stop the scan after about 30 minutes, and then in the window at the bottom, it will say if any errors/warnings were detected. Let me know what it says.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 September 2006 - 07:19 PM.

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Could be a power supply that's not up to the task, couldn't it?
Seems I've heard several times that Windows has a problem with 4 GB of RAM. This probly isn't the problem, but could you try pulling out some RAM then run it hard again?

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I downloaded all of the software and conducted the tests you wanted.

The initial screen shot is when I first started speedfan without the stress test running. The temperatures fluxuated slightly within 3 degrees C. It seems to be reading the same temps as the program my motherboard came with which you can see in the top right corner of the screen.

untitled1.JPG

I also took screen shots of the stress test running with the speedfan running at the same time.

Initial.JPG
untitled3.JPG

The test ran 30 minutes and came up with no errors or warnings. I also tested using the Small FFTs - Stress CPU option. The first time I ran it I didn't have speedfan running and the computer turned off after 10 minutes. The second time I ran it after the Large, in-place FFTs - stress some RAM test and the temperatures were lower and the computer didn't turn off. I think this merits more investigation but I have work too early tomorrow to play with it tonight. Let me know if you see anything interesting. Once again thanks for the help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. It looks like we're getting somewhere. So you have 2 CPUs? I'd take one out, and try running the CPU test (with Stress Prime) again and see if the computer shuts down. If it does, put the other one in and try that one (by itself) with the CPU test. If that one checks out, then we've found the defective CPU.

If it shuts down with both, then give me another screenshot with SpeedFan with just 1 of the CPUs in. Also, give me the brand and model of the 1 CPU you have in during the next SpeefFan screenshot, if we have to take a screenshot.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 20 September 2006 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I only have one cpu I think it says that because its a dual-core cpu.

I didn't think about the power supply not being able to handle because I bought a $160, 550 watt power supply from best buy to make sure I didn't have any problems. I guess it could be the power supply having a defect or something. That would be an easy fix if it is. Well I'm gonna run some programs to see if it shuts off again. Let me know if you guys think of anything. Thanks.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yep, low voltage to the CPU can definately be the issue. And of course not every power supply will be perfect, some PSUs, as well as other computer components, will be defective right out of the package. :whistling:

The voltage of a CPU will usually be 3.3v Yours is getting 1.33v (according to the SpeedFan screenshot and that other program running next to it) An acceptable "off" range would be +/- .5v Clearly IF your processor was made for 3.3v, you are WAY off.

Now...if ALL CPUs would accept 3.3, then I'd say that IS your problem. However, I've read that some of Intel's processors were designed to accept 1.5v...give or take a bit.

So, the key is to find out what's right for your processor. In order to do that, you (or I) would have to go to the manufacturer's website and look it up. In order to do that, you (or I) would need to know the processor's model.

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 4600+ X2 processor. I am trying to look it up right now but I never have done it before so we'll see if I can find the right information on a dial-up connection. I really hope this is the problem it will make it so much easier. Thanks for the help. If you find the time to look up the information it would probably help. Thanks again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been overly busy lately :blink:

Your processor is getting the right voltage :whistling: So we can rule out the powersupply.

I'm leaning towards a defective CPU. Run that Stress Prime a few more times (testing the CPU) and see if it causes it to crash every time. As soon as I find some more free time (most likely tomorrow), I will look for other tests to help confirm that it is the CPU and nothing else. :help:

jwheel83

jwheel83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I posted on the AMD forum and someone who is having the same problem told me there is a compatability issue between ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe motherboard and my Antec NE 550 psu. I have to say I didn't see that coming but I exchanged my psu today and the problem is solved. Thanks a lot for the help though. I really do appreciate it.