Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No audio

• Please log in to reply

rbgeraghty

rbgeraghty

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an updated Windows XP system,scan for viruses, etc. regularly and believe my machine to be clean. Suddenly, a few days ago, all audio stopped and I am unable to play any music, etc. I have tried to play music files on Windows Media and Nero but no luck. No Windows sounds either. I did the troubleshooting and all seems in order. I did install iTunes the day before but have checked to see that Windows Media is still my primary player. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
have you checked the 'Audio Devices' section in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager ? Any exclamation marks or yellow question marks there indicates that the sound-card drivers probably need re-installing. it's not unusual for some drivers to simply 'vanish' from the system and re-installing them usually does the trick.

rbgeraghty

rbgeraghty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks but I checked everything I could, including Device Manager, but I can't find a thing wrong. Truly puzzling. And frustrating. Any other ideas?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
TRY THESE

in your control panel check under sounds and audio make sure the slider is up full put check in the icon box and click ok...make sure mute is not on

----------------------------------------------------

or in your control panel under sounds and audio click the hardware tab and proprties trouble shoot if you want then check driver from there roll it back or update it

---------------------------------------------------

if none of those work give me model and make of your computer ill find drivers for you

rbgeraghty

rbgeraghty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks. I've tried that but everything seems to be OK. The computer is an Intel Celetron D320, bought early last year. The driver is Realtk '97 Audio. Somehow I don't think it's a driver problem, but at this point I'll try almost anything..

ashleo

ashleo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem on a Gateway E-4000. According to the device manager Audio Codecs and Legacy Audio drivers as well as Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio device are working properly. I can't seem to find a download for new drivers, should I uninstall all drivers and try to find a new audio driver - which one would be compatible with my system.

I am desperate - any help is appreciated :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is just a thought and i am not claiming anyone here has this problem, BUT. I was brought in a computer with no sound and everything according to windows was working properly. I deleted drivers, tried other drivers, deleted the device in device manager, an tried about everything else i could not get it to work. So i decided to not waste anymore time. I hooked up a external HD and moved all the files i could over to it with the cut and paste method. While i was getting ready to put the XP cd in and restart the computer i accidentally restarted without the cd. When windows booted up i had the sounds back. So i reinstalled all the files back, tested the computer for a day and sent it back to the customer. Three days later he called and said the sound was gone again. I want to his house and deleted all the files i had put back on the computer and rebooted it. The sound had come back again.

Long story short is he was downloading files from a PtoP program. One of these files contained some kind of trojan that disabled the sound when the music file was played. Of course he never told me that when he tried playing any music cd's or any music that was on his computer he got a red X on the volume control in the music player. After trying most of the songs in another computer i reproduced the problem on one downloaded sound file. Deleting that file brought the sound back. He had downloaded 4 other songs that caused the same problem. Playing any one of them cause the problem. I am now looking at the files with a hex editor to see if i can find out what was done.

Iam not saying this is anyone here's problem, but if you have used PtoP programs to download music files it could be the cause.

SRX660