Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Reboot

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
My Windows XP SP2 machine has been rebooting seemingly randomly. It usually happens inside games, which leads me to believe it is RAM or video card problem, but I still need help. I can't play any games, and my computer is extremely slow. I also turned off the "automatic reboot after crash" option, but I get no message, it just reboots. I'm almost positive that it's not overheating, even though i'm overclocking my CPU. My specs are Asus A8v motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 2.2 GHz overclocked to 2.4, Nvidia 7800 GS(AGP), 1 stick of 1 GB corsair DDR440 RAM.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
First, stop overclocking the CPU. Second, when did this start? Have you made any changes to the system recently? Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Do you know what the system temperatures are? If not, let us kow and we'll get you some freeware to find out.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I already tried underclocking the cpu, but it didn't fix it and because my computer is so slow for whatever reason, I literally coudn't do anything, so its overclocked again. It started fairly recently, and I can't think of any recent changes. My video card drivers are up to date and my temperature monitors have never alerted me to a temperature problem. I am currently in the middle of memtest (i'm on a friend's computer) so I'll see how that does.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If it usually happens during games, then chances are it is a heat issue. Download speedfan and post your temps during gaming.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
As far as I know it only happens in games, but not all games. It happened in Madden NFL 07 and Lego Star Wars 2, but not Popcap Insaniquarium Deluxe. I'll try speedfan once memtest finishes.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Memtest found nothing, and another symptom popped up again that I forgot to post. Occasionally when I boot up i get a message saying "NTLDR is missing Press ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot". But after I press the power button to turn off and back on it fixes itself. Minor annoyance, but another symptom, ill try speedfan.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Speedfan reports normal temps during gaming, nothing too extreme. Plus, in madden it crashes before I even get to gameplay, when I'm still in menus.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I now have found out that it doesn't always happen during games. It happened to me while I was watching a video on Youtube. I was just watching and all of a sudden my monitor went black and suddenly it was rebooting.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It may either be a power with your PSU or it may not be a hardware issue at all. What size PSU are you using? It may not be enough to support your hardware. You might post this info in the Windows XP forum and see if they have any suggestions.

Edited by kidnova, 18 September 2006 - 07:03 AM.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I posted this in XP, it got moved. however one of my CD drives is acting odd and not functioning properly, could this be the problem?

Advertisements

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have a 480 watt PSU which I think is more than enough.

Dragonforcedan

Dragonforcedan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also having a similar problem. I just bought a brand new system. Amd x2, geforce 7900, 1 gig of corsair and windows XP SP2. The first day I got it I installed far cry and oblivion and both games worked flawlessly. took it pto school by plane (it was wraped very well) and set it up. It boots up fine and runs very smooth when in windows. But when I booted up far cry it would play for 1 second then it would restart the whole computer. I tried numerous times but i got the same result. The hard drive feels quite warm constantly so i think it may be a heat problem. If anyone could give me some insight or a diagnosis on what may be goin on i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Edited by Dragonforcedan, 18 September 2006 - 04:06 PM.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I think that your problem is different from mine. My problem has unpredictable reboots, yours is always rght when you start a game. Mine can happen at any time, in a game or in some application. I have no way of predicting it, and sometimes it doesn't happen and I can play my game for hours before successfully saving and quitting.

Edited by smmalis, 23 September 2006 - 06:57 AM.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm almost positive that this is some sort of hardware issue because it has happened in so many different applications at random times. Its happened in Lego Star Wars 2, Madden NFL 07, Firefox, Gamemaker, even Word! Can someone please help!

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
this same problem happened to me. I had just recently installed new chipset drivers for my mobo lan connections. I went to System Restore and reset it a few days back and it works fine now.