Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unable to install sp2

• Please log in to reply

IllEffect

IllEffect

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just re-installed (fresh) xp pro and when i try to install sp2,it gets about half way then i get an error stating that access is denied.Any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
can't say for sure but I think you need to be logged on to an account that has administrator priveleges -- not necessarily the Administrator account, just one that is classed as "Computer Administrator" in the User Accounts section in Control Panel.

Accounts which are not labelled as computer admin do not have access to some operations, especially when it involves overwriting system files as SP2 does.

Edited by pip22, 17 September 2006 - 09:30 AM.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
You could build your own XP disk with Service Pack 2 already slipstreamed in the disk. AutoStreamer does a nice job and is lot easier than slipstreaming it manually.

IllEffect

IllEffect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the response.I am logged on as Admin. but still same problem.I have re-installed before and never had this problem.Any other advice?Thank you

IllEffect

IllEffect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just wanted to reply saying problem solved.Turned out Spysweeper was keeping the updates to be installed.Also,Spysweeper found some Bundleware installed so that could have prevented it too.Thanks again for the help.