Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway M320

• Please log in to reply

maggy

maggy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My Gateway M320 freezes at startup. The DVD drive acts like it is dead (won't open). It does the same thing in safe mode. I have tried repeatedly to get help from Gateway (they have re-defined customer services for me). No help at all. This all happened about two months after it went off warranty.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :)

Edited by maggy, 17 September 2006 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I guess I am slightly confused.

When you first turn your computer on and it starts to boot, can you open the cd then?

Where abouts does it freeze exaclty?

Are you able to log in?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......

when your done that do this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

maggy

maggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello and Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I guess I am slightly confused.

When you first turn your computer on and it starts to boot, can you open the cd then?

Where abouts does it freeze exaclty?

Are you able to log in?

When I first start up the computer I can not access the dvd drive.

It freezes before my windows desktop finishes

the mouse is unresponsive

maggy

maggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

clean your prefetch folder GO START...CLICK RUN...TYPE IN... prefetch ...CLICK OK..EDIT..SELECT ALL ..ON ANY BLUE FILE RIGHT CLICK THEN DELETE.............go to your tools menu at the top of your page select internet options delete cookies... delete files including offline put check mark click ok then close by clicking apply then ok.....go start..... all programs....accesseries...system tools....disk defragmenter.....just defragment ......

when your done that do this

go start right on my computer and open it .....on c drive right click and click on properties select tools then click on check now make sure both boxes are checked then click start

if a black pop appears dont be alarmed you should see a flashing white bar ..type the letter y for yes hit enter reboot

let this proccess go through 5 stages

The dvd drive and the mouse are no-responsive.....

Edited by maggy, 17 September 2006 - 06:08 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
but does your screen and evreything load up even though the mouse and dvd freeze

try tapping once on the windows key it should be in between Ctrl and Alt [attachment=10761:attachment] your start menu should show

Now you tap the arrows keys preferably the UP ARROW stop at RUN

CLEAR the RUN SEARCH BAR

TYPE IN THIS BUT HIT THE SPACE BAR AFTER YOU TYPE IN f AND AFTER THE r SO IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS THEN HIT ENTER

[attachment=10759:attachment]

after you should see this then at the flashing white bar type the letter >> Y<< then hit enter

[attachment=10760:attachment]

give that a try

Edited by rushin1nd, 17 September 2006 - 07:31 PM.

maggy

maggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

but does your screen and evreything load up even though the mouse and dvd freeze

try tapping once on the windows key it should be in between Ctrl and Alt [attachment=10761:attachment] your start menu should show

Now you tap the arrows keys preferably the UP ARROW stop at RUN

CLEAR the RUN SEARCH BAR

TYPE IN THIS BUT HIT THE SPACE BAR AFTER YOU TYPE IN f AND AFTER THE r SO IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS THEN HIT ENTER

[attachment=10759:attachment]

after you should see this then at the flashing white bar type the letter >> Y<< then hit enter

[attachment=10760:attachment]

give that a try

Tried that ....no response. I reallly appreciated your help. Thanks.

Edited by maggy, 17 September 2006 - 08:08 PM.

maggy

maggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I still have a laptop that doesn't work.....

I have bought a harddrive and am thinking about installing linux.

Any response to this?