Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installer takes up too much space on C drive?

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I click on the .exe to load the game, and the installer triggers a message that there isn't enough space on C drive, or there is a critically low amount of space. Is there any way to make the installer us temp folders on other drives (where I have tons of space...grr)?
Thanks

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
how much space is free on c:\ anyway?

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
a little more than 2.5 g. Install is a 2.5g package. I read on the microsoft site that the installer makes a temp copy of file to work from while installing.

The warning I'd get indicated that there was less than 50 mb left free. I presume, this was the copy taking up so much space, because as soon as I closed down the install, space was not an issue.

I solved the problem by using the extract to function, and did the install using the free space on my other drive. I guess I figured out a way around my own problem.

Still, is there any way to configure installer to give me the option of which drive it places temp image on?

Thanks.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
This program is for XP and Windows 2000 onlyDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Next right click on my computer, choose propertites. Then choose the advanced tab. Under the "performance" section click on settings. Click on advance tab. Under virtual memory click on Change.

Now in the top section it will display the available drives. It will also tell you how much virtual memory is being used. I would recomend that you change c:\ to 500mb and then on the next drive you creat a custom size of about 2gig virtual memory.

Apply the settings and reboot the pc. Now tell me how much free space is available on c:\

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could always install it on another drive, or move data from one drive onto another if you have plenty space on the other drives. If you have a drive larger than the one that you currentlly use as your primary it may be worth thinking about switching to the larger at some point if you are having space issues.