Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partition Magic Can't Create New

• Please log in to reply

hardeez1

hardeez1

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just downloaded Windows Vista from the Microsoft website (legally) & I want to install it onto my laptop without erasing my Windows XP & everything on that. So I am trying to use Partiton Magic 8.0 to create a new partition, but it tells me, "The selected disk contains one or more partitions which cannot be moved. To complete this task use the Operations menu rather than a wizard." Is there any way I can get it to work? Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I wonder if you are using the correct command in PM? If you want to create a second partition from your existing C drive, you need first to tell PM to 're-size' the C partition to make it smaller -- then complete that operation. When Windows is running again, open PM and there should now be some 'unallocated space' on the drive. Tell PM to create a partition there -- complete that process. In Windows now you will have a new drive letter (the new partition). You can either format it with PM or use the Windows Control Panel>Aministrative Tools>Computer Management.

With PM I find it best to only use it for one process per session (as per the instructions above) rather than asking it to proceed with several processes in sequence. That way you can check in Windows if everything is going to plan after each step and, if necessary, back-track without too much hassle.

Edited by pip22, 18 September 2006 - 11:11 AM.

hardeez1

hardeez1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
hey, thanks for the reply. that's what it was, i figured it out shortly after i posted the question, windows vista is sweet!!! -scott