Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no my com. icon

• Please log in to reply

imhowie

imhowie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a friends lap top which with your help we can fix it. He said that some how he lost the my computer icon and there is no run either to run stuff. I`ve tried to load some of the more popular programs to get rid of viruses, malware, spyware, etc. but it doesn`t start nor is there a run button to use. Also, can`t sign on with it to down load anything to clean with. Also, a blank page with down load.com tries to load and some of the icons on the desk top when clicked a pop up appears asking if I would like to down load it. I think this thing is infected but could there be a way to clean it with out re-installing the os? What I can get off of it is that it is an HP Pavilion ze5170 with xp home.
Is there a way I can set the Linksys - wireless-G note book adapter on the lap top to my D-Link wireless router? Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you right click the taskbar, click proprties, start menu, customise, advanced to see which options are ticked

imhowie

imhowie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, Keith I`m there now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The computer icon should be as a link and you need to tick show run, click OK, click apply

imhowie

imhowie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There marked now and just to make sure I closed out and went back to make sure and they are still marked but not showing up, do I need to re-boot? Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reboot

Download this and load it on to the laptop

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

Also this

http://www.grc.com/s...hemessenger.htm

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum