Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding More Memory

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I currenty have a ABIT-USA KN9 SLI Motherboard which has 4 slots for memory. 2 of them are orange. 2 of them are green. Right now i have a 1 gb stick in the first slot which is orange. I am thinking of getting 2 more stick of 1gb to have a total memory of 3gb's. I will be getting dual channel memory. If i put them in the first 2 slots and then put the stick i currently have in the 3rd slot the new memoey (first 2 slots) should run in dual channel corrent? and the 3rd slot ( 1 gb stick i have now) should just run in single channel mode like it currently is now.

My pc takes DDR2 800 memory

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
no it will not run in dual channel at all

if you still want to run in dual channel you would have to purchase another 1 gig stick and run with 4g's filling up all of your slots which in turn lowers the FSB motherboards dont like being maxed out in memory

but why do you want 3gigs anyway 2 gigs is still heaps buy todays standards and 3 gigs is still overkill
i would save your money and not even bother you wont even see any performace gain

troppo

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Longhorns -
I don't know anything about your specific board, so I just want to pass on some generic memory info. For dual-channel to work properly, you must have 2 sticks of identical RAM. They must be placed in the correct slots on your motherboard. The motherboard will take care of the rest.

I'm not kidding when I say "identical". Let's say you decide to buy another stick of memory just like your first one. Installed in the correct slot, you'd then have 2GB of RAM, plenty for most folks. However, if the second stick is in any way different than the first (latency, etc.) it might run but you'll get weird errors. Better to go buy one of those "kits" where you purchase two sticks of RAM together in a package, and the packaging will say something about "Dual-channel" or "Twin" or whatever. If you want 2 GB total RAM you'd buy a kit containing 2 1GB sticks.

I'm not saying it's impossible to find a stick of memory that matches the one you already have, but it is a risky proposition. You might end up wasting your time and money.

Once you have matching sticks of RAM, they must be in the right slots, and you'll have to figure that out by reading the motherboard manual. Some of them go in right next to each other, other boards require you to skip a slot.

You can't just toss a third stick of memory in one of the remaining slots!!