Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to upgrade my ssd and ram

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 April 2024 - 02:38 AM

I am amazed to hear you say that the computer is running fast, as to why is explained below; AntivirusMalwarebytesAntivirus: EnabledVirus Signature Database: Up to dateAvast AntivirusAntivirus... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Wilsondog

Wilsondog

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi I am looking to upgrade my ram and ssd but am unsure what is compatible and what is not please could someone give me some help thank you.

Here's my speccy report https://speccy.pirif...FmirbQb5dwEQI4c

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

We can help you with the upgrades but after looking at Speccy I have to ask a couple of questions because you already have decent hardware;

Are you wanting to upgrade because your computer is running as slow as molasses.

If not wanting to upgrade because the computer is slow, why do you want to upgrade, is it to run new more demanding software, if yes, what is the software.

Please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner of the page, this so that we can see that you are following your thread, you should then also receive notification when there is any new reply for you.

Wilsondog

Wilsondog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi yes I want to run games better so want better ram and need a bigger ssd because I'm out of room on my 500gb hard drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Are you wanting to upgrade because your computer is running as slow as molasses.

Can you answer the above and the below for us;

What games are you.wanting to play.

Some good news for you hopefully, unless you want to play AAA games that would require a better GPU you do no not need to upgrade the SSD and RAM but instead do some remedial work to get what you already have working the way that it is capable of.

Wilsondog

Wilsondog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi the computer is running fast thanks and the game I am playing is Ark. 

I really would like to upgrade the ram and ssd I found some ram that runs at 4000mhz but am unsure if its compatible. I need more space on the ssd for more games as the drive is nearly full thanks

Ram I would like

https://www.amazon.c...4,aps,72&sr=8-3

Many thanks

Edited by Wilsondog, 11 April 2024 - 05:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
✓  Best Answer

I am amazed to hear you say that the computer is running fast, as to why is explained below;

Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Avast Antivirus
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Norton Security

Having more than one AV or Firewall installed on your computer is bad, it will slow down the computer, cause internet connection problems and leave you with no AV protection at all if they cancel each other out as they fight for resources.

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and 11. 

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Avast and Norton 100% should go but Malwarebytes if paid for on subscription is okay to keep.

You can uninstall Avast in the Control Panel but should you have any problems see Avast clean removal info here Please create a new system restore point first.

Norton uninstall info here

The RAM at your link is not appropriate for your CPU, Intel state here up to 2666 and if you were to have XMP enabled the RAM would get auto OCd past what the CPU can handle and the PC will become unstable.

The best thing that you can do with the RAM is manually OC it in the BIOS, this because the 3000MHz that you have will make the PC become unstable at some point should you enable XMP.

Something to keep in mind for the future, a CPU must be compatible with a MB whereas the RAM has to be compatible with both the CPU and the MB, this because a MB can be compatible with faster CPUs than the one in your list of parts and MB manufacturers often state RAM speeds that far exceed that which any compatible CPU can handle, this is misleading at the least or dishonest at worst.

Fwiw: Even the most powerful CPU that is compatible with your MB can only handle 2666 RAM, the quoted RAM speeds for the MB by MSI here are a croc.

Your 500GB SSD would be better to be partitioned into two, a 250GB partition just for Windows and the system drivers and the other partition for your most played games, the 1TB Toshiba HDD that is almost completely empty should be what is used for storing data such as pictures, videos and documents to.

No need for any financial outlay to improve things here, a bit of your time is all that is needed.

Wilsondog

Wilsondog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

HI thank you. I will keep Malwarebytes as it is a full copy and uninstalled Norton and Avast. I've decided to give this pc away to my brother and buy a new one with better specs so I can play better games, thank you very much for your help and advice its most appreciated indeed.

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: