Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build recipe

• Please log in to reply

arborphile

arborphile

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am building a pc for the 1st time. I have a budget of about US$700 and am want a computer I can play current games on. I was initially thinking of AMD 3800 cpu but am now, having checked the benchmarking for the Conroe vs AMD and have decided that Conroe is the way to go. Thanks jrm!

Components I have already got:

Monitor, mouse, keyboard, optical drives
HDD - 200GB Samsung
vid card - Radeon ATI x800 Pro
psu - 450w 24 pin

I am looking to by the following:

cpu - E6400 Conroe
mobo - Asrock 775XFIRE-ESATA2
RAM - Corsair 2GB PC 5400 (2x XMS2 1GB)

This all comes to about US$550.

Can anyone see any major problems with this setup or recommend different choices?

Thanks
Arb

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I am building a pc for the 1st time. I have a budget of about US$700 and am want a computer I can play current games on. I was initially thinking of AMD 3800 cpu but am now, having checked the benchmarking for the Conroe vs AMD and have decided that Conroe is the way to go. Thanks jrm!

Components I have already got:

Monitor, mouse, keyboard, optical drives
HDD - 200GB Samsung
vid card - Radeon ATI x800 Pro
psu - 450w 24 pin

I am looking to by the following:

cpu - E6400 Conroe
mobo - Asrock 775XFIRE-ESATA2
RAM - Corsair 2GB PC 5400 (2x XMS2 1GB)

This all comes to about US$550.

Can anyone see any major problems with this setup or recommend different choices?

Thanks
Arb

That Asrock motherboard does not support the Core 2 duo which would be a Conroe processor by Intel..

Find a different motherboard that supports Core 2 duo.

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
[/quote]

That Asrock motherboard does not support the Core 2 duo which would be a Conroe processor by Intel..

[/quote]

I'm confused...it does according to Asrocks webpage http://www.asrock.co...re-eSATA2 .htm

Am I misreading this?
Arb

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hmm. Yep, I was misreading the specs.

I have done some more research and am now looking at this one: ConRoeXFire-eSATA2.

What do you think?
Thanks
Arb

Edited by arborphile, 20 September 2006 - 05:35 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hmm. Yep, I was misreading the specs.

I have done some more research and am now looking at this one: ConRoeXFire-eSATA2.

What do you think?
Thanks
Arb

Yeah the first mobo 775XFire-eSATA2+ you listed only supports the E4xxx series which is a single E4200 CPU, 1.6 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 2 MB Shared L2 Cache and they arent even out yet...

The last asrock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 mobo you posted will support all of the core 2 duo conroe processors.

This is the one the supports all of the conroe processors.. http://www.asrock.co...Fire-eSATA2.htm