Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable Win2000 network password for print server

• Please log in to reply

Dan R.

Dan R.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Please help - I have a Win2000 computer that I use as a file/print server. However, this computer prevents me from using its shared printer until I log in to it over the network. Every time I reboot my XP machine I can't print until I visit this computer through Network Neighborhood and answer the login prompt to access the shared resources on the Win2000 machine.

I've worked around this by mapping a network drive and automatically reconnecting that at logon, but without that the Win XP machine won't remember the password.

Question: how do I just disable this, so the printer is shared with everyone on the network automatically without requiring them to log in to the machine over the network?

I've unchecked "Users require a password to use this computer" but all that does is automatically log in a certain account on the machine itself, a password still seems to be required to access network resources.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
-

Edited by samiko, 18 September 2006 - 09:21 AM.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
-

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
-

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
loging as the local administrator or a user with administrator rights on the machine and make sure that the printer is shared and everyone is assigned print permissions in the security tab.

Sorry I have pressed submit reply too many times.... :whistling:

Edited by samiko, 18 September 2006 - 09:22 AM.