Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Change Name

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My dad originally installed XP on my computer, and when he did he entered his own name as the system name. For instance, my cookies all show up with his name "jim@aimtoday.com" In addition, many programs will reflect his name such as Microsoft Office and Limewire. It will show up as "Jim's Limewire." I found the folder to change this, it is under C:\Documents and Settings in a folder titled "jim" However, when I try to change it to my own name it gives me the Windows Error Message of "jim is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed."

Is there any way to get around this and change the name of the folder to my own name? Is this even the correct folder to change? If I do change this folder name, will it affect all the other program's such as my cookies and Mirosoft Office?

Please let me know if there is a way to change this folder name.

Thanks.

P.s. I have already changed the name under User Accounts section in Control Panel. This did not reflect the appropriate changes that I wanted.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Try changing the name of comp.

runbox command
press: winkey + r button
type: sysdm.clp
press: enter
click: computer name
change the name to one you like.

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Try changing the name of comp.

runbox command
press: winkey + r button
type: sysdm.clp
press: enter
click: computer name
change the name to one you like.

Hy Flea. Thanks for the input. I tried doing what you said, but it gave me this message, "Windows cannot find "sysdm.clp" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and click search."

Are you sure that's the right name of the file?

Thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Sorry, my spelling mistake, sysdm.cpl (and not sysdm.clp)

or one can go way to do it

click start
then righthand click my computer
click properties
click computer name
click change name
write new name

[once again sorry about my spellling then]

Edited by fleamailman, 20 September 2006 - 02:58 AM.