Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to connect to irc

• Please log in to reply

17osm17

17osm17

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi. I couldn't connect to the irc. this happened today. yesterday and the previous time i was able to connect to any of the servers.

I'm using a hostel router. I had asked the IT administrator of the hostel and he said no changes or settings had been made on the router. He had just resetted the router today.

So I was wondering if this is my own computer problem.

I'm using mIRC 6.17. Please guide me along through the troubleshooting and solutions. thanks!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do any ports need to be opened on the router for this to work?

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
no. the funny thing is, i was able to connect normally, this problem only arises yesterday. so i think the problem lies with my wireless adapter or my computer system.

Kurasaki_Ichigo

Kurasaki_Ichigo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Does Mirc give you any error messages while trying to connect, like unable to resolve host or something like that ? If it does you could try the Mirc FAQ Page or the Server errors and connection problems page.

It might, but shouldn't, be related to the build of Mirc you are using - V6.2 is now available.

Edited by Kurasaki_Ichigo, 18 September 2006 - 08:35 PM.

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
For some unknown reason, when i changed my ip, (the last 3 digits) I'm able to connect again. weird.. any explaination to that?

Kurasaki_Ichigo

Kurasaki_Ichigo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've had problems with Mirc using incorrect ip details and such before. They were usually resolved by going into the tab where you have the host info, ip etc and switching either to or from the server option. I don't actually know what causes the problem though.

I actually no longer use Mirc, I use X-Chat 2. It took a bit of getting used to at first as Mirc had been the one and only client i'd ever used since I started on IRC a couple of years ago. I find it better for scripts and things and have never had connection problems with it except for when the IRC server itself was experiencing a problem.

Edited by Kurasaki_Ichigo, 18 September 2006 - 08:50 PM.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
What network were you trying to connect to?

I know that WyldRyde (the network geekstogo is on) was having at least one server down for upgrades.

(and since I didn't read the whole thread before replying, it might have been that the IP address you had was banned from the network)

-Ryan

Edited by rmurphy, 18 September 2006 - 09:06 PM.

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hmm no my ip wasn't banned. ok my current update on my prob :

sometimes when i changed ip, i can connect, but then, when i tried the second or third time to connect to the irc, it says "connection timed out"

i couldn't connect to any other irc servers at all.

this problem also affects my Pristontale online game. if my irc is able to connect, then my game will also be able to connect, vice versa. i wonder if they shared the same ports.

my internet explorer and msn messenger are able to work, unaffected by my problem with irc or my game.

so, to the bottom line, sometimes i'm able to connect once or twice into irc and my game, and then the problem is back (which is i couldnt connect).

i'm here to provide any additional info if required.

17osm17

17osm17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i think i know where my problem lies. it could be that my hostel it admin has somehow blocked port 6667 which is used by my irc server and my game server.

i was wondering if i can somehow bypass this? please guide ^_^

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
We cannot help you bypass any restrictions that the hostel has in place.

Sorry.

-Ryan