Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win Pro Antivirus 2006

• Please log in to reply

dmp580

dmp580

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello All:

I am having a problem with an application that was inadvertenly put on my computer. I run Windows XP, and use Ad-Aware SE and Avast Antivirus. Unfortunately, my niece decided to add to my computer another application called Win Pro Antivirus 2006.

Since that was put on the computer, I am unable to run any applications because Win Pro Antivirus starts to immediately run when the computer boots to the desktop. I mean that the desktop will show, but the WinVirus starts to run, so what is happening is that my startup desktop page freezes, the mouse does not move, and Win Pro AntiVirus then leaves corrupted sentences (pieces)of itself on the desktop page.

Has anyone had any experience with this application (malware) and is there a specific software that will remove this app? I cannot even go to the Control Panel to remove this junk, the desktop remains dead, with no active movement of cursor, mouse, and I cannot even click on any application so that it can run.

Please help me, you smart people out there. I go to online school and cannot even use my computer.

Thanks very much in advance for your help. Please tell me how I can get that app off my computer. Please remember that the mouse does not work, nothing works. Thanks.

dmp580

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it ever complete the scan and let the PC run properly?

dmp580

dmp580

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith:

No it does not complete the scan. It starts but the app quickly freezes, then the desktop screen and mouse follow.

Thanks for asking, is there a chance that you may give me some ideas on how to get this app off my computer?

I apprecaite it!

dmp580

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need the system checkpoint created before the programme was installed

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Then

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Ah, Win Pro Antivirus 2006. A terrible infection. :whistling:

Please follow all the directions found here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the programme

http://www.eksearch....virus/index.htm

[attachment=10764:attachment]

dmp580

dmp580

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith:

Yes, this is the program. Hard to believe something that purportedly supposed to help my computer ends up entirely corrupting it!

I will start on your fixes right away. Thanks so much!

dmp580

dmp580

dmp580

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith:

Once again, thanks for that great info. I did everything else you said. Now, we can use the computer again, however, invariably, after a few internet pages, WinAntiVirus 2006 will put a message on the page saying you have a serious infection, you should scan for viruses right away. Do you want to download WinAntiVirus 2006, click ok or cancel are the options.

We exit out the AV message, go about our merry way, and then a few pages later, this awful crap shows up again.

I tell you after I did the procedures you gave me, I ran a Ad-Aware scan, had 56 instances of malware, which I eventually deleted, then ran Avast AntiVirus on top of that, but after an hour and fifty minutes of the scan, with some 210,000 files, I stopped the scan. However, before I stopped the scan, Avast told me that several trojans, malware and infections were on the computer which I moved to the chest.

I guess next is to post the HiJack This scan. I'll be doing so this or next week.

I appreciate all your help, any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Diane

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad Keith got you going! Your next stop should be the Malware Forum and let the experts help you get the rest of the crud off the machine. :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2006 - 04:00 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Also download and run this to deal with all those message types

http://www.grc.com/s...hemessenger.htm