Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP startup

• Please log in to reply

fitzgig06

fitzgig06

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was looking at my startup folder & noticed a bunch of square symbols as the "startup item" & the "command" with the "location" of (HKCU/SOFWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Windows: Load) ... does anybody know what this is? & should I take it off of my start up!? :whistling: Thanks!

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Usually generated by Malware. The Malware forum is this way -->

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As Neil Jones has suggested, this is quite possibly malware. The reason the text is displayed as boxes is that Windows can't display the symbols...perhaps something in another language.

To verify that the machine is clean, please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
This is a simple fix if you have the right software.

Startup Inspector (FREE)-- removes Startup Programs, should be able to get rid of your problem with only this, but I recommend the other software below this link.

http://www.download....tml?tag=lst-0-1

Adaware SE Professional ($40 highly recommended, or Personal Edition for Free) -- The $40 one will include Ad-watch very useful because it protects the registry from unauthorized changes. Most malware will try to replace itself in the Windows registry stopping you from deleting it, but ad-watch will almost always prevent this.

http://www.lavasoftu...reprofessional/

These 2 programs along with Avast! Home Edition and Windows SP2 will protect Windows from almost any attack. This is the setup I use and it works tremendously well. Never have recieved a virus using this method.

Happy virus killing! :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Fitzgig06- Please follow Wannabe1's excellent advice.

Bobbydoo8- none of the programs you mentioned will help in this situation, for they are more preventitive than reactive. Furthermore, in reading your other posts, I'm not sure that you know the difference between AV protection and a firewall. Please refrain from posting about security until you have sent me a PM reassuring me that you have sufficient knowledge to help posters in these areas.
Johanna

fitzgig06

fitzgig06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah, I posted it on there, but I haven't gotten a reply yet..

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry788683

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I had a look at your HJT log...it would appear you did the right thing. I'm sure one of the experts will be contacting you soon...be patient. :whistling:

fitzgig06

fitzgig06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts