Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Encrypted Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am trying to read a hard drive from another computer, but everytime I open up any files, I get a random bunch of characters. Is this because the hard drive in encrypted, or is it something else? How would I go about understanding these files? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. This will be a moderator/admin's call, but I'm not sure if we can help you with this, becuase theoretically, you can use an unlocking technique on any computer, which is a threat to another person... We'll see what someone with more experience than I has to say though...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
My appologies to double post, however, I want to verify that this is your hard disk you are trying to gain access to?

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes, this is infact my own computer. It was being used by my brother. Could you please explain the unlocking you mentioned? I am knew to this whole hard drive thing. thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, it really depends what format of encryption and such... I really can't help you determine which encryption it is though... That's not my cup of tea... :whistling:

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How could I figure out what type of encryption it is, and is there somewhere I could take the hard drive to solve my problem? And thanks for your help so far.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
have a few questions; did you pull the hard drive and hook it up to another pc or are you trying to read the drive accross the network. If you have the drive connected to your system, have you tried running checkdisk? It could be that the file information has corrupted. You said encryption, how do you know the drive was encrypted?

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, the hard drive is connected to my other computer. And I dont know if it is encrypted for sure, but whenever I try to open up any files, i get a bunch of random characters and nothing makes sense. I have never gone through a hard drive like this so this is all new to me

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
go to that other computer and see if you can see the data. If you can try transfering the data from that computer to your pc instead of the other way around.

You need to run a full checkdisk on the hard drive. Please go to the SOURCE computer. Open windows explorer. right click on the hard drive in question. Select Properties. Select the Tools tab. Undererror checking click check now.

A new menu box will appear. Please checkmark both boxes. Click OK. It will prompt you to run checkdisk at next startup. Select ok. Restart the pc and let it run the full checkdisk.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Hmmm, if your brother used the disk, perhaps you should talk to him to see if he encrypted the data.

Also, since you did not use the disk, what data do you need on it? It seems to me that there are some questions which need to be answered since otherwise it seems like you are trying to get data off a disk which you should not have access to.

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it is difficult to get in touch with my brother since he is fighting in Iraq at the moment. He left some records on file that he requested we access for personal reasons. Starjax, so i need to put the hard drive back into his computer and see if I can access the data?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Yes, that is the best thing to do.

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What if all I have left is the hard drive?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
THen hook it up to your computer and run scandisk. If your still unable to view the data then there isn't much that can be done. If its vital then you can send it to a data recovery service. You can check with Ontrack to see what can be done. Cost though, anywhere from 1000 to 3000 usd depending on the amount of data. I also don't know if they deal in drive encryption.

You may just have to email him or wait till he contacts you to verifiy the encryption.

kansasbaseball13

kansasbaseball13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thank you very much. I certainly appreciate all the help you have given.