Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi

I'm trying to install a soundcard on a freinds pc, it's an old PII with windows98 it is a fresh install using the Packard Bell recovery disk.
Problem is, when I try to install the drivers I get an Unhandled Exception error 0x80070402, unable to load dll: UNINSTALL9X
The card is a Hercules gamesurround Fortissimo II i've tried two versions of the drivers and get the same error with both. If anyone knows a workaroud or an alternative way to install the drivers I would be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. If you could, I suggest forgetting about the drivers on the CD, and just go to the manufacturer's website, or a driver website, and downloading the latest version.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
And here they are.

http://www.fileshack...simo II Drivers

SRX660

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that it is the latest drivers from that site that I am trying to use.

Andy

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What model Packard-bell computer? I have 2 old running P-B's with the sound/modem dual card in them. Perhaps this is what you have and they do take different drivers than the normal ones.

SRX660

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
I'll find out the model name later when I get home and post it, there is a modem card in there which does not have a socket for speakers. I do not believe the hercules card is the origional card for the PC (I may be wrong).

Andy

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Ok panic over :whistling:

Spoke to my friend and told him I was having a few issues with the sound card, as soon as I told him he said "I think i've got a disk at home that has something to do with sound." Turns out the disk is the origional and has the drivers in a folder and not as an .exe, so I pointed windows in the right direction and they loaded first time and sound now works.

Thanks for your help

Andy